34

*FIVE YEARS LATER*

Life in King's Landing had been peaceful. Rhaenyra had been crowned Queen before the masses with little to no objection (mostly because everyone was terrified of the black dragon glaring at them through the window). Ser Criston Cole was stripped of his knighthood and sent to the Wall, much to the delight of Daemon and Feyre. House Hightower had been set on getting revenge for the death of Otto, but Feyre had explicitly threatened to burn Old Town and the Sept to the ground, and let Cannibal devour everyone. They didn't make any sign of war after that. So now Rhaenyra was Queen and her family was safe.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Feyre smiled softly as she watched her children play. They were in the Kingswood for Alyssa's eighth name-day, celebrating with a hunt. The girl of the hour was chasing Joffrey around with a wooden sword, trying her best to get him.

"Mama!" Alyssa whined, "Joffrey won't let me slay him!"

Feyre chuckles, "I can't say that I blame him, darling."

Alyssa pouts before letting out a small war cry, "I'm coming for you, Joffrey!"

The Velaryon boy starts running away, prompting Alyssa to chase him. Feyre belly laughs as they run around the camp, disappearing into the tents.

"I swear that girl gets more like Daemon everyday," Rhaenyra says from Feyre's side.

Rhaenyra and Feyre were sitting together on some cushions outside their tent, trying to find a moment of relaxation from their busy lives as Queen and Hand. They needed this trip more than the children.

"Pretty soon she'll be grown and courting," Feyre teased, "Then she'll worse than Daemon."

Rhaenyra pretends to shiver, "Gods help us."

They laugh together and drink their wine. Feyre gazes out into the forest, taken back to a far memory, "Do you remember the last time we were here?"

"How can I forget?" Rhaenyra whispers in High Valyrian, gaze softening as she looked at Feyre, "That was the day I finally won over the love of my life."

"Like it was much of a challenge," Feyre whispers back, "You've had my heart for over twenty years, Nyra; it was I that won that day."

Rhaenyra smirks and traces her finger up Feyre's arm seductively, "Just you wait until we get back to our tent tonight, my Lady Hand."

"I can't wait."

They were contemplating sneaking out to the woods right then and there, but were interrupted by Joffrey. The young boy flung himself at the women, hiding in between them.

"No fair, Joff!" Alyssa says as she climbed onto her mother's lap, "You're cheating!"

Feyre pretended to shield Joffrey away from her daughter, "Oh, my poor Joffrey! I'll save you from the mean old Lyssa!"

"Yes, I'll protect you as well!" Rhaenyra joined in wrapping her arms around her son and her wife.

This did not go over well with Alyssa, "You're all meanies! It's my name day and if I wish to slay Joffrey, I can!"

"Come here, you little tyrant," Feyre sat up and pulled Alyssa into the pile, "Sit with us for a while. Take a break from wreaking havoc on the kingdom."

Alyssa looked at het mother skeptically, and Feyre thought that her daughter looked scarily like her father. Alyssa eventually relented and snuggled close to her mother. Feyre chucked softly and began to run her fingers through the girl's silver locks.