6

"Are you really happy dear ?" Amma (mom) asks from the other end, her voice so calm and with mixed emotions.

"Yes mom. He is just not a very expressive person but he looks after me well. I couldn't ask for more" i say, convincing myself to be convincing enough for my mom.

I hear her sigh before a minute of silence.

"Just....visit us sometime. It has been months and we are living by just hearing your voice over the phone" she says.

"Mom i told you, the house chores and managing the cake shop, my schedule is kind of packed. But i promise I will try to make time and visit. Seems like all the drivers are going on a strike for a month. God knows what they will do without wages, but the work abuse case of the driver who worked in some cotton mill is going violent in the court so we can't blame them for fighting for their rights and justice" i say.

"I heard from sampandhi (son-in-law's mother/father) that you both visited the Sharmas' son's birthday function together" amma asks teasingly.

"Veera helped me deliver the birthday cake since all the drivers went on strike" i say, smiling and shaking my head.

It is not what you think amma..... If only she knew.

"Okay okay. I won't say anything. But it has been four years, even I wish to become a grandma" she says suggestively.

"Ok amma , i am getting a call from a customer i will call you later" i say before cutting the call abruptly.

It is hard to act like this in front of my in-laws and parents but they will break down if they know.

They all care for us so much, i can't dare ruin their moods or emotions with this.

At least they will be happy at the thought of us being happy.....

Thank you babes ❤️