Burned

Aru sighed as she looked at herself in the mirror. She and the rest of the Potatoes had gotten in a fight with a fire demon, and she had come out almost unscathed...except for her hair.

Her braid had been burned by the demon. As she gingerly touched it, a strand of hair fell into her palm. Aru held back tears. She loved her hair, and felt like it made her her...but now it was singed to the point of destruction.

"Shah, you okay?" a voice asked. Aru spun around to face Aiden standing in the bathroom doorway. He was staring at her with a sad expression.

"Aiden! Didn't you go home?" 

"I wanted to check on you, Shah." He made his way towards her and gently touched her braid. "May I?"

Aru nodded, letting her hands drop from her hair. She held her breath as Aiden unbraided her hair but couldn't hold in a single tear as strands of hair came apart beneath his fingertips.

"It's okay, Shah," Aiden whispered. He began combing her hair back with his fingers. He took a deep breath and began to sing a soft song in Sanskrit. Aru didn't know Sanskrit very well, so she only caught a few words - words like heal, strength, and, weirdly enough, love. She closed her eyes, just listening to his voice.

Aru had no idea if Aiden thought about her like that...but she knew that she definitely did, based on the way her heart fluttered as she listened to him. 

When Aru opened her eyes, a soft golden light flickered around her head like a halo. Her hair was loose and hung almost to her waist. It looked shiny and healthy.

"You should leave your hair down more often, Shah," Aiden whispered, blushing slightly. Aru also felt like she had turned from a Potato to a Tomato.

Aiden cleared his throat. "I...should head home..." Aru nodded, not wanting the moment to end.

Wifey slowly walked to the bathroom door...but then suddenly swooped around and kissed Aru on the cheek. Then he ran away, back to his own house.

Aru touched her cheek lightly and smiled. 

Maybe he did like her after all.

A/N: How'd you like my first oneshot??