Chapter 2- Eyes Forward

After another fifteen minutes of trudging through snow, a large pole placed to mark Velaris came into view. The glamor still over the city made it look as if there was still just snow and mountains behind it. Those of Hewn City that wish to leave are known to stare at the pole once it comes into view or the magic concealing the city will make you turn back and wander away. Most don't even realize where they are walking till they are far enough away that the glamor releases them. One would not even consider going during a storm for fear they would not see the pole and end up lost somewhere.
"This is as far as I go. Keep your eyes on the pole. Even as you walk past, go back till you know you are inside the glamor. Do you remember how to get in touch?" He stood behind me so I said a loud yes, to be sure he heard me. "Take this then," he sighed as he tapped the object to my side. Reaching behind me, never tearing my gaze from the pole, I felt the leather binding of his notebook. Everything he knew of the circle, the night court, and the myths of the dusk court. In a stern voice of instruction and warning, Father proceeded, "It will help you. Fill it with all you know and learn. Stay as long as they allow or till you no longer have need. If we do not hear from you or you send no more...valuable information...Keir will see to it you are brought back. You know the consequences of that."
"I know Father," was all I whispered as I hid the book under my cloak.
"No need to hide it. Even if the Highlord can see past the glamor on it to look like a regular female's journal; I doubt the ramblings of mad male will matter much to him..." I heard him stare to make his way back a bit before he would winnow home, "... anything, he'll think I gave it to you so you don't make a fool of yourself by being ignorant of what is outside Hewn City. Consider it a Solstice gift child..." Then he was gone.
Solstice gift. Since when did we give 'gifts'? I didn't think much else about it as I walked towards the pole other than Solstice was yesterday. Would the circle be up yet after the festivities? Had they gone to bed at all? Would they even come to greet me or make me find my way to where they all lived?
The pole was carved with stars and moons. Standing tall and proud to be seen. I touched my hand to the wood, tracing some of the carvings. Stepping sideways till I was behind the pole seeing my footprints behind it. I walked backward with my eyes straight ahead counting each step. No one knew if the pole was on the glamor, before it, or behind. Since I saw no city behind the pole, I would assume it was before or on it. I was not sure so I dare not look away, praying to the mother that I didn't trip.
Seven steps back and the metallic smell of magic stung my nose. One more and it was gone. I hear a male giggle behind me as I slowly turned. I try not to look away from the pole, just in case, till I say a familiar figure in the corner of my eye.
"Shut up Cass," cousin Mor barked, "she doesn't know if it was safe or not. Welcome to Velaris Cyra!"