Chapter 11-Court of Nightmares

I went to sleep that night, exhausted and full of thoughts. The only information I set home was that there are books on the Dusk Court somewhere in the library, and they are not yet trusting enough of me to tell me anything of value. Sending it without my cousin the Highlord was easier than expected. Unless the shadowsinger had shadows watching me write down every word.

I was lost in a dream. A dream of standing before Hewn's lords. Clothed in rags while they placed a nice fresh outfit before me. Hungry as they fed me, gave me fine drinks. All a beautiful bride, a cruel deseption to enough for a time knowing it won't happen again.

Keir spoke to me with the same importance and manipulation he used when I was too young to recognize the trecrousness of it. "The night court has used us as second class for too long. Even know, they only regard us a separate court not worth their time. Not there problem unless we make ourselves one like a child begging for attention. Cyra, even you are a victim of this. You know they will not keep you there. You know they would not have brought you to their city if you had not become aware of it..."

The room spiraled as I was now standing before Amarantha as she examined me, painted and decorated like a doll childre got to lay with. Not me, for I was never a child, just a woman who had yet to mature. From the time I could crawl, I was forced to learn to care for and raise a family. Time to grow up child and have a child was my life's only goal.

Keir and the other lordspresentg me as a prime wife for whomever she chose. My dress stained with blood pooling at my feet as a hidious and cruel creature called me wife and dragged me through the crowd. It slapped me across the face and woke me up from my ignorance. The horror that my life would be abuse, torture, and hatred forever. Not a family, but an enemy. I fought harder as I was slapped again.

Suddenly, I was in the dark. The only thing visible was a woman with hair similar to mine calling my name. Mountains and stone were raised between us as she raised her arms. 'CYRA! Desendant of Dusk and Stone... Save us!' The stone and woman became one. The stone woman hurled a rock towards my head.

This time, I woke up for real. Alone in my room, I could not go running to Father. Not to Elain or my cousins. I only walked to the mirror and stared at my face. Still feeling the sting on it, I spashed water in my face. Only I could run to myself when monsters haunted the night. Haunted my nightmares, with twisted versions of memories and what could have been. Haunted me into taking my herbs my father got me.

I knew for some time it did not bring my menstastion, but hindered it from coming at all. It was a crutch, a reasurrance that my nightmares did not come true. That family and torture would never mix themselves into a reality. A life of wishing I was dead, not living at all!

A knock on the door nearly made me jump out of my skin. As I rushed to open it, I threw a towel over the cracks in the stone of the bathroom sink. I am trying not to think about what caused them.

The shadowsinger called my name from the other side of the door. Openning it, I could see he looked concerned, "My shadows told me you were not well. Are...are you okay?" Elain stood behind him pering at me. Where are they together? "I came to see what was wrong, and Elain woke up to ask what was happening when Rhys and I walked past her door." Guess not.

"Rhysand is here too?"

"No, he thought I would be better to calm you down if something was wrong. He is waiting at the house though for us to report back. Along with everyone else. Are you okay?" Elain was ringing her hands nervously.

"I had a bad nightmare, that is all. Why is everyone so concerned?" I prayed to the mother that I had not lost control in my sleep, and they would all now my secret.

"The whole mountain was shaking, and there are cracks everywhere..." Azriel stated. Shoked, I was not aware.

I started to panic as I closed the door, not knowing what else to do. Looking around the room, it was riddled with cracks in more than the bathroom sink. This has not happened in years! Why know?!

Azriel's words from dinner flashed in my mind, "...the powers they possessed where stone manipulation? Highladies could cause earthquakes, raise mountains, or even fish islands out from the sea..." I did not know the Dusk Court was the origin of this power, but I did know that when my powers started as all highfae possess power to a degree, my father emidietly put a damper on it. Did he take it off when I came here? Why?

I opened the door back up and apologised, and I was fine. I slept through it. Azriel looked suspicious but nodded and left. Elain insisted on staying in the House of Wind with me. I could not handle her being in the room with me, so she took up residence across he hall. No one asked questions, but I don't know what morning will bring.