Chapter 4-The House of Wind

Through the dizziness of winnowing, I could see we were at the base of many stairs. My cousin looked concerned but didn't say anything as the dizziness cleared. Cassian sat on the steps waiting.

"This is the House of Wind. The townhouse is where we live. We use this mainly for formal occasions so we wouldn't be around much. Figured you would like your own space. It cannot be winnowed into so it is safe," Morrigan reassured me.

Of course, they didn't want me living in the same house as them. I was a formality they wanted to hide away till I dissolved into the walls or asked to go home. The family they had was only interrupted by me. To protect it, they could not have me there to learn too much about them. I was no longer under a mountain, but I was on top of one. My new prison.

Cassian stood and walked over, "Do you either need to walk up those stairs. Or..." he grabbed my cousin and I spreading his wings, "fly up."
Before I realized what was happening, we stood on a balcony overlooking the city.

Morrigan glared daggers at Cassian as he stumbled into the house on a chair in the sitting area there. My cousin again turned to me, "We will be having supper here this evening. You won't be bothered till then. The room up the stairs and eight on the left are yours. Feel free to go anywhere you like. Just I'd you want to go outside, you need to wait for one of the males to come to get you or walk down the thousands of stairs hoping you'll be able to get back up again."

She motioned to Cassian who stood and walk back to the balcony, "I really am glad you are here Cyra. We will take more after supper. Rhysand too. If you need anything, the house will take care of you." Not her, not Rhysand, the house.

I watched as Cassian flew my cousin down into the city to a house I assumed was the precious townhouse they lived in. I gave them a vulgar gesture I had seen many males in Hewn City use when I knew they wouldn't see. I laughed at my raised finger, at the rage behind it. Laughed at how ridiculous it was that us females were not allowed to use it freely without punishment. Putting my arm down I stared out and held back tears that were forming in my eyes. The city was beautiful in the daylight, I could only imagine it at night. Beautiful view for a cage.
I walked into the house to the sitting room Cassian previously resided in. The walls were dark marble and the floor was polished obsidian stone. Onyx gems seemed to have been crushed into the floor's panels to make it sparkle as well as shine. I always admired stones, gems, and the dirt that make them. I walked up the black gold-railed stairs that looked more ash in color. Down the hall to the place that was my room. It was a good thing the house was open to light and most of the furniture was light in colors of gold and lighter grays. Even the dark-colored furniture didn't make the place too dark.

Entering, I ached at the sight of a bed. However, my clothes were dirty from the travel and I brought no extras. Father said the circle would most likely give me clothes to wear that would be more appropriate for Velaris. If not, the ones I wear were not to be washed. That way they would be so disgusting they would have to get me clothes. Luckily I spied a closet. Pleasantly it was full of clothes.

Desperately needing a bath, I walked to the washroom and found the bath already warm and full. I knew little of the house of wind. The house had magic to care for its inhabitant's needs, that much I knew. Mor did say the house would take care of me. A caring prison indeed. With my clothes on the floor and the warmth of the bath on my skin, I did want I dare not do all day. I cried.