XVIII. Lingering Pretense

Yeonjun didn't know what to feel when he was told all this; that Kai's death was all part of a spell and there was a chance he would come back with his memories, which he did.

"So... Kai is alive?" The others nod with happy grins, "Yep!" says Beomgyu, "He" motioning to Soobin, "wouldda had my head if he didn't come back." Soobin pouts his lips presumptuously, "No, literally." Soobin's face breaks out into a laugh and Beomgyu joins him, swinging in a few lighthearted slaps on the others' arm. Taehyun and Yeonjun just kind of look at each other, half nervous about how true that statement was.

"A-Anyway," Yeonjun interrupts, "Where is he?"

Soobin wipes a tear from his eyes, "Oh, Kai is up in the kitchen making–"

"Wait, kitchen?" Yeonjun is honestly surprised he didn't ask this question in the beginning, "Wait, where the hell are we?"

"At Moa Estate, of course." Answers Taehuyn.

'Of course' Yeonjun mocks the squirrel in his head. There's nothing "of course" about it. Yeonjun has never been to, or heard of, a place like this in the damn mansion, he didn't grow up here like some people did. Besides, last time he checked it got totally wrecked. They also couldn't start rebuilding it because it's still technically a crime scene under strict surveillance.

Soobin sees just how confused Yeonjun is becoming. "We're in the underground levels. Lowest one, to be exact."

Underground? Of course these rich vampires have floors underground. "And what level is that?"

Soobin hums to himself as simply as if he was recalling how many apples are left in the pantry. "Level L, right Taehyun?"

"L-Level L? That's the twelfth letter in the English alphabet! We're twelve stories down?!"

"No you silly," Soobin gives a little love tap on Yeonjun's shoulder, " 'L' stands for 'Lowest'. It's only six stories underground, not twelve."

Honestly, that doesn't make Yeonjun feel any better. Six stories... that's nearly five hundred feet. I've never been five hundred feet in the ground before. Wait–is it even safe? This damn family is ancient, when were these floors built?! Is it even safe?!

"Of course they're safe! They used to get inspected all the time."

Yeonjun side eyes Soobin, "Why do they have to get inspected 'all the time'?"

Beomgyu swings his arm around Yeonjun's shoulder and nussles him in, "Gosh Yeonjun, don't be such a worry-wart! The point is that everything is ok—well, it's not because awful things are happening and will continue to happen—but between the five of us, it's ok! Brighten up, will ya? Now, Kai wanted to have your favorite food made for when you wake up so it should be done soon. I bet you wanna see him too, so let's go up and eat."

The three go back down the dimly lit hallway from which Taehuyn and Beomgyu first entered. "Wait Soobin, you came from that way, what were you doing down here?"

Soobin thinks for a moment, "Oh, I was checking to see if you were awake, that's all."

"Oh, ok." But the room I was in was this way, too. Hmmm...

With Beomgyu and Taehuyun leading the way, they turn and go up a flight of stairs Yeonjun recognizes as first he ran past when he was trying to find anyone else who might be down here. If Soobin was down here, why couldn't I sense him? 

Yeonjun didn't realize how cold his hands had been until one was met with a warm one. Soobin's smile hushes his thoughts and he decides not to dwell on the matter any further.