Chapter 3

Aaliyah

After four hours of driving my dad got us on the campus. We arrive to my dorm hall; Fairview House and the building looks beautiful from the outside. It is made up of bricks and has so many windows that you would count forever. There are beautiful cherry blossom trees that surround the dorm building and sway with the wind. A pond with several ducks is placed in between two of the trees.This campus is breathtaking. Dad gets my bags out the car while I walk to the front of the building to check in. "Hi, my name is Hannah, and I am your RA" says a brunette girl wearing a Briar hockey jersey with the number 44 on it.

She smiles at me and I smile back. "Hi, I am Aaliyah and it's nice to meet you". She checks her list after I say my name. "Nice to meet you too. Your room is 204 and your roommate hasn't got here yet so make sure you get the good side" Hannah says. I let out a laugh this girl seems nice. "I will. Thanks for helping me." "No problem here is the code for the dorm group chat" Hannah replies. I take out my phone and scan the barcode on her screen. After I join the chat, she hands me my room key. I take it then walk into the building with my parents.

  The lounge area is fucking unreal. There is a pool table in the center and the couches are a deep red color. The walls are tan, and a portrait of the school's founder and his wife hangs across from the windows. Of course, the school provided a flat screen tv which so happens to be playing The Perks of Being a Wallflower with Logan Lerman and Emma Watson. I love the part where their characters kiss for the first time. If I didn't know that my school had money one look at this building would confirm it. We make our way through the lounge and hop in the elevator. Dad presses the button to the second floor.

We walk down the hall to 204 and I open the door. The room is huge. There is a massive gap between the two full size beds. The walls are freshly painted to be as pale as snow. The room has one closet on both sides. Two windows by each bed are open and let the light shine in. I can't wait to decorate. "I told you it was going to look incredible" mom beams. She's right I lucked out big time. The only thing missing is a bathroom. Sadly, no matter how rich my school is they still believe in the cruel college punishment that is communal bathrooms.

  Mom starts doing exactly what a black mother would when taking their child to school. She sanitizes everything with Clorox wipes while dad puts the sheets on my bed. I want to cry. This is my first-time leaving home and the thought of not having my parents here with me is scary as shit. I hope I'll be okay. What could go wrong?

The door flies open slamming against the wall. I feel my body jump. Walking in the room is a white girl with ginger hair. She's short and is wearing a brown shirt that has more money more problems printed on the front of it. She matched her top with a pair of ripped jeans and black and white converses. "The party is here baby" she announces.

My parents look at each other not knowing what to say. "Hi I'm Aaliyah" I wave. "Nice to meet you. I'm Charlotte but everyone calls me Char". "What is your major" dad questions. "Psychology" Charlotte replies. " How about you?" "Mine is elementary education". I want to give students a safe space to learn since I wished that I had one when I was little. School was hard for me when I was younger because of my weight.

Girls on the playground bullied me for have a big stomach. I've always been plus size, but it doesn't mean that I should get use to people treating me like crap. Thankfully for me my parents and Jordyn always remind me how beautiful I am, but I have never heard a boy say that to me. I hope that college could be my chance to break out and find my confidence and if a hot boy comes out of this then I don't see the issue. He just better not break my heart because I don't think that I can handle that.

Mom and dad left a while ago and I still can't believe that I managed not to cry like a baby. I can't say the same for mom she completely broke down. Dad didn't cry but if I know him like I think I do than he will definitely be crying on the drive home. Charlotte and I have been laying on our beds while her speaker blasts we can't stop by Miley Cyrus. "Do you want to grab a bite from the dinning hall?" " Yeah I could go for a bite" I reply. I'm waiting for her to act bitchy to me since she's petite and I'm not but she never does. This girl might just be alright.

We walk over to Carver Hall which is one of the best dining halls on Campus. They serve sushi every night so there is a crazy line of waiting students. Charolotte and I get in the back of the line behind these two white boys having a very interesting conversation.