Chapter 6

Mayor Harold watched the tents while walking down from Trevor road. Behind him was a crowd of ghostly townsfolk. They followed him in a crowd. They walked until they were close to the road that went around the water fountain. They all stopped. "It's not often that we get to trap people here. However, one of these humans we need in order to gain power. Let us let them figure out our secret first. Then we will take him when the time is right." The mayor and townspeople slowly vanished into thin air. "Good morning!" Mr. Binge said to Dennis. He was eating a plate of French toast with maple syrup. Dennis yawed and got up from his sleeping bag. He noticed the food. "Reggie's mom is preparing breakfast for us. You better get some too." His dad said kindly. Dennis unzipped the tent and felt the cold morning air on his face. There were also tiny drops of water from the morning dew on the tent. He put on his sneakers and joined Reggie and Sonny at the campfire. "Good morning." Reggie's mother spoke with a smile.

"Good morning." Dennis replied to her in return. There was another plate of French toast that was getting plated. "If you are eating French toast, you better eat it with maple syrup. It's the best." Reggie bragged. Sonny got his breakfast plate first, then Dennis, and then Reggie. "So, did you have a good night's sleep?" Reggie's mom asked. "For sure mom. I dreamt that we were all sleeping on the money that we collected unknowingly until now." Reggie answered. "Really? Reggie, you know that we did not find any coins or money bills in the bank or in the vault. Now I encourage all of you to complete two pages of your schoolwork before we can move the camp site up towards the town's library." She announced before serving two more plates to Jill and Zoey. They were also up. As soon as everybody ate their breakfast, the kids all changed into a fresh pair of clothes. They all brushed their teeth and used mouthwash. Dennis got down to working on two pages of math. While Reggie and Jill both worked on their English schoolwork. They both discussed their answers and fixed their own grammar errors. Zoey worked on two pages of her history homework. While Sonny worked on his science homework. The parents extinguished the campfire and planned which spot that they are going to camp at next. Dennis checked his answers and corrected the ones that we thought were wrong. "Alright, is everybody done their homework?" Mr. Binge asked. "You mean that I have homework to do to?" Sonny's dad responded in a joking manner. Dennis packed his homework back into his suitcase. He also put the homework into a file folder before putting it into his suitcase. "Are you all set son?" Mr. Binge queried as he was going to help the parents fold the tents back up. "You bet! I think I would want to learn more about the town's history. Besides, this place isn't haunted without a reason."

Jill, Reggie, Zoey, Bert, and Reggie got their suitcases packed once again. They carried their luggage bags and backpacks all at once. Bert helped his dad fold up one of the other tents. Once the last tent was packed up, Dennis and his friends waited for his dad to lead them on. Mr. Binge walked down Trevor road. Sonny's dad, and Zoey and Jill's mom followed him in front. Bert' dad and Reggie's mom were staying behind to watch the kids from behind. Dennis started the journey along with his friends. They all looked at the windows of the small businesses on Trevor road. One window was broken, with its shards lying in front of it. The other windows were either cracked or covered with mold or dust from the inside of the abandoned buildings. There was an old optometrist business, with its sign being crashed right on the crumbling sidewalk. There are some blades of grass that have completely taken over the sidewalk in some places. There was an old bookstore that the group had passed. Its windows were dirty from the inside and the outside. There was some dirt on the bottom of the old windows. Cobwebs have covered the windows from the inside completely. There was one old book outside on the sidewalk next to the bookstore building. It lay with its pages touching the ground. Bert quickly glanced at the book. "What's the title?" Reggie asked him. Bert shrugged and said that it was written by Beatrix Little. Zoey took a quick glance at it to. She told the group that the book was written by Beatrix Little, and it is called "The Day of the Friendly Earth Worm". "It's got to be an old kids book of some kind." Sonny guessed. "Well I have never heard of that author. Maybe there are some more books that can be read at the abandoned library." Bert's dad spoke while walking along. "By the way, I think I know how to get out of here." Reggie's mom exclaimed. "How could that be possible? Our car tires and engines are broken." Jill and Zoey's mom wondered as she looked at the abandoned buildings while hiking along.