Chapter 23

"Just what went wrong?" Dennis asked. The mayor looked up at him and said, "We had been missing your friend's ancestor." Dennis and his friends were confused. "What do you mean you were missing Sonny's great grandfather? You could have casted the spell in the cave without him. He wasn't a part of your secret society Mr. Mayor." Reggie pointed out. "Why don't you listen to our leader? Everything will be clear shortly." Sonny's great grandfather's ghost said with an angry expression on his face. "You see when my fellow society member found the spell book. It knows right away that the person who found the book was part of the town council. Everybody who was a part of the secret society was also a part of the town council. When your friends' ancestor left us. It still considered him to be a member of the secret society. So that is why the spell failed. Because your friend's great grandfather wasn't present at the time."

"Just what are planning to do after you cast the ultimate ghost spell? Take over the world?" Reggie joked. The mayor had a sinister smile on his face. "Perhaps, but I will start with the country that our town is located in. Then I will take a hold of the United States." He replied. "That will never happen!" Sonny shouted. "Silence." Mayor Harold retorted as he opened the spell book. He located the ultimate ghost spell. The secret society started to chant. "We got to do something. That mayor can't cast that spell." Sonny said urgently. "We can do something that can be a distraction." Jill suggested. "What kind of distraction though?" Bert asked. Dennis looked and saw that the miner ghosts were holding onto the broken spider web covered pickaxe handle. They also held to one pickaxe that Dennis and his friends brought along with them. Dennis suddenly had an idea. "Follow my lead." Dennis whispered. He ran up against one end of the cage, and made it jerk one way. Dennis also ran towards the opposite side. He hit it and the cage swung in that direction. Bert also did the same thing. He and Dennis hit one side of the cage and it swung again. Sonny also ran back and forth. They made the cage swing around as if it was a pendulum. This caused the secret society members to look up. The mayor told the secret society members to ignore them. "They can't break out of that cage. Besides, they would be hurting themselves in the end. Their parents cannot save them. They are already outside next to the mine entrance. We should return to casting our spell, shall we?" The mayor insisted as he was determined to finish casting the spell. The twins and Reggie ran back and forth in the cage as it swung around. The chains creaked while the cage was swinging around. "Do you think the chain is going to break?" Reggie asked. "I don't think so. But the cage hitting the cave wall might make a loud noise." Dennis replied as he tirelessly ran back and forth. The cage was not swinging even closer to the sides of the cave walls. "Come on guys. Were nearly there." Jill said, trying not to be dizzy from getting rocked around in the cage. Bert was trying not get sick from being rocked around in the cage. The cage was now two inches away from both walls. The chains holding the cage started to creak. There was the sound of the metal cage getting slammed against the cave wall. That caused the secret society members to stop concentrating on the spell. They felt dizzy just looking at the cage rocking back and forth against the cave walls.

"Stop it! You're breaking our concentration." The mayor shouted. The cage banged two more times against the cave walls. "Just make them stop!" The mayor ordered the ghost miners. They floated up to the cage. The white aura around their faces faded away, revealing a skull head. They all screeched at the kids. "Just ignore them. The plan is working." Sonny said. The ghost miners floated up to the where the cage connects to the chain holding it. "The mayor nodded his head at the ghosts. They disconnected the chain from the cage. The cage fell from the chain. Dennis and his friends screamed. The cage was about to fall on its side. The ghost miners stopped the cage from falling on its side and set it upright on the ground. The ghost miner holding the broken pickaxe handle hit against the iron cage wall. "Listen up you scoundrels. You have just caused the secret society to lose some of its ingredients they need to cast the spell. They will have to get more ingredients so that the spell will be cast. We will watch you kids. If you try anything, we will possess you and make you silent." The miner ghost holding the broken pickaxe handle. The mayor turned the pages. He stopped at a certain page in the spell book. The intimidating ghost did not let Dennis, or his friend go and look. They towered over them menacingly. Suddenly, while the mayor and the secret society was going to cast a spell, Dennis look at the tunnel wall next to the cave. He saw a shadow of somebody coming to out of the tunnel. One of the ghost miners went to have a look. He raced until he was next to the shadow. The ghost was surprised by what he saw. There was not anybody standing next to the cave wall. Suddenly, there was a flash of light that shined on the ghost. It blinded him. "Hey, there's somebody here." The miner ghost shouted. Mr. Binge and the other parents except Reggie's mom walked out of the tunnel from the mine to the cave. "Let my son go!" Mr. Binge yelled. The spell that the secret society was going to use to summon an ingredient stopped. The mayor glared furiously at them. A secret society member flew out of the circle.