Chapter 26

"No! Now Cecil Town will never be the town all of you wanted it to be!" Mayor Harold screamed, holding onto two bars with his hands. The secret society members tried to break out of the cage, but an unknown magic was keeping them inside the cage. They could not walk through or fly out of the cage. The cave started to shake. A stalactite fell from the ceiling and shattered when it hit the ground. "We got to get out of here!" Dennis shouted. "This way!" Mr. Binge said as he ran down the tunnel to the mine. The ghosts of the townspeople and the miners slowly, started to vanish. "We're finally free." One ghost said to the others. The white aura around their head and faces started to slowly vanish. They were replaced by human heads. The ghosts' bodies were slowly started to become more transparent every second that the cave collapsed. Harold Fern could only watch as the miners and the townsfolk vanish. Harold's face and head became a skeleton head. The mayor screamed in anger. The secret society member took off the hoods from their gray robes. They also had skulls instead of the aura of light.

A stalactite fell from the ceiling and was about to hit the cage that the secret society members were in. Meanwhile, Mr. Binge ran as fast his legs would carry him. "Hurry, hurry!" He shouted to the parents and the kids. Dennis ran as fast as he could, the small cave tunnels fell apart and were barricaded with piles of rock. Thankfully, the rocks only blocked the tunnels after Dennis and his friends had passed them. Then, they started to run into one of the mine tunnels. It had mine cart tracks. Mr. Binge ran past and around the mine carts. Some of the wooden mine supports have gave away. The rest of the wooden supports were shaking as the mine shook. Finally, Mr. Binge could see the mine entrance. He did not stop until they were outside of the mine tunnel entrance. It was not boarded up like before. The wooden boards were all piled up in a pile on the left side of the mine entrance. The earth trembling was not only happening in the mine. It was also affecting the yard as well. The machines used for the mining were slowly falling apart. Parts of the front and loader are starting to have rust again. Its big bucket fell off its arms. Two front wheels fell off the dump truck. Even the fence was starting to lean more towards the ground outside. "Let's keep running!" Reggie said as he went ahead. "Get back here!" Bert's dad called after him. "Dad let's keep going. This whole town might be falling apart." Dennis said as he continued to run. The top part of the fence that protects the mine was only one foot away from the ground outside of the mine. The giant drill bit of the drilling machine fell off. The steam shovel's big scoop fell off its big arm.

Dennis and his friends did not stop running. Dennis even jumped over the bit of barbed wire on fence as he ran. "By the way, I was holding onto the two pages you were holding onto earlier." Reggie said as Sonny's dad gained up with him. "How did you managed to cast that spell?" Reggie asked him. He quickly took the two pieces of paper out of his pocket. He then pointed to a spell that undoes one of them on one side of the pages. "I had to memorize and note the magic words that make the spell work." Sonny's dad shouted as they kept running. Dennis' legs felt like jelly, but he did not stop until he was at the garage. He then looked all around him. The buildings nearby and around him were falling apart. A cloud of dust was left behind for every building that fell down. A horn honked. Dennis turned around and the bus motor was turned on. The bus lights turned themselves on. "Get in!" A familiar voice shouted from the driver's seat. Dennis and his friends quickly ran inside the old tour bus. "Take a seat and fastened your seat belts. It's going to be a bumpy ride." Reggie's mom said as she was ready to drive the tour bus out of town. Reggie sat in the bus seat the closest to the driver's seat. "Mom, I thought that fixing up this old bus wouldn't work because I thought that you need a certain driver's license to drive this bus." Reggie said. His mother closed the bus doors and slowly drove out of the gas station. The rumbling continued. The bus pulled out of the garage, just in time for it to fall apart. A cloud of dust was left behind. Reggie's mother pushed the gas pedal near to the floor. A ball of fire came out of the ground next to the garage. The long vehicle sped up. The buildings along the stretch of Caesar road all fell apart. Some buildings just crash into one another. The tour bus was next to the town fountain. The tour bus bashed past the cars next to town fountain. "Are we going to get some new cars when we get home?" Jill and Zoey's mom asked the rest of the parents. The bus finally crashed past the barricade. It crashed into the two parked cars. A left front tire fell from the rim of the truck. Dennis looked and saw that the luggage that the adults and kids have were all piled in the bus's back seat. "By the way, how did you get all of our luggage all packed up in the back and getting this old bus fixed up?" Dennis asked. "Simple, after your father and the other parents talked to the ghosts, some of them helped me get this bus back into great shape. They also helped me to pack the luggage bags up." "Now, I know a reason why we could come back here." Mr. Binge announced. "Why do you say that Mr. Binge?" Zoey questioned nervously. "So, we could get our cars back." He spoke. "We could always get new ones." Bert's dad said. Dennis looked back through the back window. As the bus drove further and further away from Cecil Town. All that was left of the ghost town was a giant cloud of dust.