Chapter 19

"Ouch." Reggie said as he stood up. "What's wrong?" Zoey asked. "This hiding place made my arms tired." He complained. "At least we got rid of that ghost." Bert said. "Don't be so sure. There might be more of them in the tunnels." Dennis conveyed as he went over to Reggie. Reggie took the folded map out of his pocket. He unfolded it and looked at the two tunnel entrances. "Where are they going to be casting the spell?" Dennis asked himself. The map showed two different places where the spell might be cast. One place was near the mouth of the cave. The other is connected by a few other tunnels to the mine. "I think they might want to cast the spell in a part of the cave where the room is large enough for the members of the secret society to join in a circle. Some room where they might think it looks like a cave according to the spell." Sonny said. "What do you mean?" Jill grilled, not understanding him. "I mean that they might want to cast the spell near the mouth of the cave." Sonny replied pointing at the spot. "Then why didn't you say so?" Reggie questioned, also confused.

"Hey calm down Reggie. We don't need to be arguing right now. If we do not stop the secret society, we might be haunting a small house when we're turned into ghosts." Bert said. "Alright, this way." Dennis spoke, pointing to a tunnel to the right. He went down the tunnel while carefully putting the folded map back into his pocket. The tunnel was clear for now. There was no mold or purple mushrooms growing on the beams. Suddenly, there was the sound of a screech, that echoed throughout the tunnel. "What was that?" Reggie pumped in a calm tone of voice. He pretended to be brave but was a little bit frightened. Dennis shined the lantern ahead. The tunnel seemed normal. The group continued on until they heard another echoing screech. Dennis and his friends stopped. Bert looked up at the ceiling. There was nothing crawling on top of them. There was another screech. Dennis and his friends slowly moved down the tunnel. Suddenly, they arrived at a part of the tunnel where there was a big hole in the ceiling. Bert shined the light from his lantern ahead. The group could not see anything in the hole. Dennis carefully walked till he was nearly under the dark hole. Suddenly, there was a giant spider coming down from the hole with a screech. The creature hanged by a silky thread. The spider looked at Dennis. Then at his friends. He was little bit curious about why the kids might be here. Another screech echoed down the hole. Dennis backed away and saw a giant ghost spider on the floor. He was angry at the group. "Do you think they know..." Bert said before Sonny put his hand over his mouth. The normal giant spider still looked at the group. Curious as to why they would want to come here. The ghostly spider let out a screech. The normal spider started to swing back and forth on the silky thread it made. It swung back and forth. The giant creature was about to hit Dennis in the face. The ghost spider started to scurry towards Dennis and his friends.

When the spider went to swing at Dennis again. He gave the spider a punch. It knocked the spider back into the dark hole in the ceiling. The ghostly spider screeched in anger and stormed towards Dennis and his friends. Bert held out his lantern. The giant ghost spider stopped. Bert began to approach the giant ghost. The creature backed away from Bert. Suddenly, there was a screeching sound coming from the black hole. Bert was pushing the giant ghost spider further and further away. The spider that Dennis punched came swinging out of the black hole. It knocked into Bert. He then tumbled to the ground. The giant spider snapped its jaws at Bert. The lantern he had in his hands was knocked to the ground. The giant ghost spider marched until it was nearly next to Bert's shoes. The light shining from the lamp shine on the ghostly creature. The ghostly spider screeched whenever it came near the light from the oil lantern on the ground. Bert was struggling to get the giant ghost spider off him. Its jaws were snapping at him. The creature nearly snapped at Bert's throat. He then pushed the spider's mouth away from him. "Somebody give me a lamp." Dennis whispered to his other friends. Jill passed one of the other two lamps to him. Dennis shined the lamp into the dark hole. He could see ten other giant spiders in the hole, waiting to tear him and his friends apart. Reggie slowly moved to get the lantern lying on the ground. The giant ghost spider focused its attention on Dennis. Since he was away from the group. The ghost spider jumped to get on Dennis' back, but Dennis turned around. He shined the light from his lamp at the ghostly creature. The spider immediately fell to the ground. He immediately tried to scurry away from the oil lamp's light. "Could I get somebody shining a second light on the spider please?" Dennis asked his friends. Zoey came to grab the lamp near the ground. She shined it on the giant ghost spider. When the second oil lamp shined on the ghostly creature, something began to happen. The giant ghost spider began to slowly transform into thin air. Three other giant spiders dropped out from the dark hole. They started to attack Dennis and Zoey. Reggie started to jump on three of the giant spiders. They were unable to move. They felt weak after getting jumped on. Jill tried to push the spider's body against Bert's body. But Bert kept pushing the giant arachnid's head away from his face. "Bert, get on top of the spider!" Sonny shouted. Bert then pulled the spider's head until it was next to his chin.

Bert had the giant spider's body flat against his chest. He then rolled on the ground until he was on top of the giant creature. The spider flailed its legs in all directions. It tried to fight back at Bert. Suddenly, a giant spider came out of the hole and started to attack Bert while on his back. His jaws snapped at the back of Bert's neck. Jill and Zoey came to help. They both tried to get spider's head away from touching Bert again. Suddenly, two other spiders jumped on Jill and Zoey. The two giant creatures knocked them both to the floor. A ghost spider fell out of the ceiling along with four normal giant spiders. The creature began to charge at the rest of the creatures. Sonny jumped on one of the spider's before getting attacked by one the other giant spider. The spider knock Sonny to the floor and had him knocked down to the floor. The ghost spider that Dennis and Zoey shined their lights on was completely gone. Two normal spiders that were with the second giant ghost spider started to attack the two friends with the lanterns. Reggie picked up the third lit lantern on the ground and shined it on the ghost spider. The ghost spider stayed away from him. He started to push the ghostly creature even further away. A third ghost spider came out of the dark hole in the mine ceiling and attacked him. It knocked him to the floor. While at the same time, knocked the lit lantern in his hand to the ground. "Help!" Dennis cried. The rest of his friends screamed. Bert pushed himself off the giant spider on the ground and tried to sit himself up right. The giant spider on his back tried to snap at the back of his neck. The ghost spider ran towards Bert. Dennis had his hands against the head of the giant spider that was attacking him. The giant spider attacking Zoey was spewing out a sticky web substance that glued her shoes to the floor. She screamed for help.

Reggie had a big problem dealing with the ghost spider. He held the spider's head up against his body. He then rolled so that the creature would be on the ground. Reggie tried to smother the spider on the ground. The ghostly creature simply passed through him and stood on his back. It then snapped at the hair nearest to his neck. Dennis pushed the spider's head away from him and then tried to roll on the ground. But the spider's giant legs prevented him from rolling on the ground. The giant creature tried not to let Dennis be on top of him. He spewed a sticky web substance on his shoes. The creature was doing everything it can to make sure that Dennis was not trying to smother it. The giant spiders let out a screech all together. Sonny tried to hold the giant spider's head up next to his throat. The spider fought back by having its long legs attack the spots next to Sonny's body. One of the blows hit the left leg. Sonny cried but slowly rolled on top of the spider. Bert was slowly on top of the spider. It tried to fightback by trashing its long legs at him. The ghost spider scampered onto the back of Bert's legs. The spider that Bert was smothering was feeling a little weak. The giant ghost spider was now on Bert's back. It snapped its jaws at him. The third time that the ghostly creature tried to chomp at Bert's neck was nearly close to his skin. Bert immediately rolled on the ground and the giant spider scampered on him while he rolled. It was now on Bert's belly before it started to snap at his chin. Bert tried to push away the creature, but his hands went right through him. Bert hen tried to grab the ghostly creature's head. Dennis punched at the creature's face. That made the creature stop spewing the sticky web substance on his shoes. It snapped at Dennis' chin. Then Dennis hit the giant creature with his hands and feet. He thrashed his arms and legs at the giant spider. The giant spider jumped back wards off Dennis body. Dennis quickly grabbed one of the pickaxes that his friends carried along with them.