Chapter 20

The ghost spider backed away from Dennis for a bit. The creature was about to pounce. Dennis held the closest pickaxe in front of him. The spider jumped at him. The creature let out a screeching battle cry. Dennis knocked the spider away with his pickaxe. The giant spider hit the ground three feet away on its back. Dennis started to use the mining tool to remove the sticky webbing off his shoes. Sonny was now on top of the giant spider. It tried to bite at his eyes. Sonny held the spider's head away from his face. The spider's head was trapped between Sonny's head and solid rock floor. Sonny tried to stand himself up. The giant spider still tried to snap at him with its jaws. Jill screamed as she tried to slap at the spider's face. The slaps felt more like pushes to the spider. It opened up its mouth.

The creature's jaw was about the snap down on Jill's mouth when she tried to push the spider's mouth away from her. The spider screeched. Jill pushed herself off the ground as she pushed the spider further away from her face. The giant arachnid struggled to push back. Jill pushed back harder with all her might. The spider lost its grip. The tall legs struggled not to move. The giant spider's legs were leaving some scratch marks in the hard mine floor. Jill was now sitting. She continued to push the spider. The giant creature tried to snap at her with its jaws. Jill got herself standing, casting a tall shadow on the wall. Jill put one foot on top of the creature. The giant spider screeched in anger. The creature tried to move away from Jill, then towards her. Jill then took her feet off the spider and put her knees on it. Jill was riding the spider. The creature tried to shake her off. Dennis tried to move the spider that was attacking him away. The creature was now over his face. Suddenly, there were two hands that were pulling the creature away from Dennis. He looked and saw Sonny. The spider that did attack him was now slowly dragging itself across the floor. Sonny pulled on the creature's head. Dennis pushed the giant spider's body away. He dropped the pickaxe, and it made a clang went it hit the ground. Dennis got the spider off the wall, and it was on its back. It laid down on the floor as Sonny and Dennis sat on top of it. Dennis let out a sigh of relief. "Are you stuck?" Sonny asked looking at the sticky webbing on his shoe. "He's not the only one who's stuck. Could you please help me out, I'm not having a great time?" Zoey pleaded as she tried to push away the giant spider attacking her. The creature then shot some sticky web substance on her lap. Sonny got off the spider he was sitting on with Dennis and went to help Zoey. He waited until the giant spider's legs were on her T-shirt. He then started to hold the spider's head away. Zoey rocked forward and the spider was getting squished. Zoey stayed on top of the spider. Sonny then went to help Jill. He told her to get off the spider. Sonny jumped on top of the spider. The giant creature felt weak. Jill went to help Dennis. She told him to get off the spider attacking him. Dennis stood up. The spider got back on its legs. Jill jumped on it. She then went to sit on the spider that attacked her sister.

"Help!" Bert yelled. "Yeah, can you get rid of these monsters?!" Reggie asked as he held the giant ghost spider's head away from his face. Sonny quickly removed the sticky substance on Dennis' shoe. The two boys got up and started to use the oil lamps on the creatures. They first helped Reggie. The giant ghost spider jumped off him and went onto the wall. The ghostly creature started to slowly disappear. The bright light was forcing it to retreat into the dark hole. Dennis shined a spot of light between the dark hole and the ghostly creature. The giant ghost spider felt weak, and it fell off the wall. It let out one final screech. The creature vanished shortly after. Reggie had his hands holding the spider's mouth away from Bert's face. Sonny and Dennis both shined the light from their lantern at the giant ghost. The spider started to slowly vanish. The spider struggled to get away, but Reggie kept holding onto its mouth. He and Bert closed their eyes while the light from the two lanterns shined at their faces. The spider screeched two times before it vanished. Dennis and Sonny shined the light from the oil lanterns away from Bert and Reggie. "You can open your eyes now." Dennis said. Reggie help Bert to get back on his feet. The twins were still standing on the other giant spider. While Sonny and Dennis put down the lamps, Jill, and Zoey both got up from the floor. The giant spider was too weak to move, even to stand on its long legs. Sonny helped Zoey to get the sticky substance off her lap and feet. Jill picked up one of the oil lanterns and looked up at the dark hole in the ceiling. There were only some webs stuck in the hole. That made her a little bit nervous. She checked the dark hole. Dennis went to check the map. They were going to be approaching another intersection in the mine. The friends picked up the lanterns and the two pickaxes.

Dennis picked up the broken pickaxe handle from the ground. "This has to be the last time that we're going to be having to get attacked by those giant spiders." Jill spoke as she held onto one of the lanterns. Dennis and the rest of his friends hoped so to. Dennis took the lead. They soon came across the last intersection according to the map. The first tunnel went to the left but was blocked off. There were giant boulders in the tunnel entrance way. The second tunnel had a lot of light coming from it. The tunnel was in the center. The light was coming from oil lanterns, candles, and even some glowing rocks trapped in the wall. The third tunnel heading to the right, was the most impossible tunnel to go through. There were stalactites and stalagmites all over the tunnel. Dennis or either one of his friends could get through the mine tunnel. The first small opening between the stalagmite and the stalactites were not big enough to get through. Suddenly, Dennis and his friends had a problem, the light from the oil lantern died out. "Oh no." Jill said as she her lantern turned itself off. The other two lanterns also turned themselves off. "Now how are we going to be finding our way out?" Reggie queried. "I think we should follow this tunnel." Dennis said, pointing to the center tunnel. Bert agreed with him. "There's a lot of light coming from this tunnel. I don't like being blind as a bat." He added. Dennis folded up the mine map from his pocket and went down the mine tunnel. His friends followed him. Suddenly, he could hear some chanting. The sounds of the voices were a little quiet at first, but then became even louder. Dennis peeked around the corner. There were figures covered in gray cloaks. They were chanting. The figures were standing in a circle. There were some shapes drawn into the circle that they stood in. Each one of the cloaked figures were standing in a small circle in the drawn giant circle. One of them had a spell book in front of them. Dennis squinted and saw that the figure was making a whole poster appear out of thin air. This poster talked about ways of gaining money. Dennis' friends stared from around the corner. One of the cloaked figures took of the hood of his cloak off his head. It was Mayor Harold. He held out the book. "My friends, we have haunted this town for too long. We are going to rule the other towns. Yes, we are meant to be rulers. And I will make that a promise." He spoke.

The mayor held out the spell book with both of his hands. Zoey recognized the book. "It's the book I found at the library. I think they are going to cast the ultimate ghost spell" Zoey whispered to Dennis. The other figure in gray cloaks took off their hoods. Sonny was shocked to see one of them was familiar. "Dennis, that's my great grandfather. We have to save him." Sonny whispered into his ear. "I am going to fix the mistake I made. The one that caused this whole town to become abandoned and a ghost town in the first place." The mayor continued. "I hope I can rule the whole states of Nevada and California." One of the cloaked figures mentioned. "I want to take control of the whole country of Canada." Another cloaked figure revealed. "We should just get even more powerful. That way, there won't be anybody that will stop us. Our rule will last forever." Sonny's great grandfather suggested. Two other cloaked figures shouted in agreement. "That is a powerful idea my friend. That is a wise choice. We need to cast another spell, before we could cast the ultimate ghost spell first." The mayor added. He clapped his hands and three miner ghosts floated towards the circle made by the secret society members. They each carried an item. They were an iron bar, an iron chain, and a padlock. They miner ghosts left the items in the circle and floated away. The gray hooded figures put the hoods from their cloaks back on their heads. The member them started to chant again. "What are they doing?" Bert whispered. "I don't know." Dennis answered as he watched the spell taking place. There was some magical energy getting gathered. The padlock, the chains and the iron bar floated into the air. They floated around in front of the hooded figures. In one minute, the magical energy turned into a yellowish green ball. It floated seven feet above the circle drawn into the ground. The items were drawn to the ball of the energy. They started to race around the ball. The piece of chain was sucked into the ball of magical energy. A giant chain shot out from the ball of energy. The iron bar, and the padlock was also sucked into the ball of magical energy.