Chapter 22

Bert and Dennis were almost next to the cage. "Get these rats off me!" The secret society ghost cried. Three more miner ghosts came out from behind the pile of rocks and went to help. Dennis and Bert were thrown into the cage. The three miner ghosts guarded the entrance. "Well done." One of the cloaked ghosts told the miners. The secret society ghost was tried to swat at Reggie, Zoey, or Jill with his arms. The friends still hanged on to the ghost with a good grip. "You have learned too much, and your father has helped us in casting this spell. Therefore, we can't let you leave." The mayor said in a stern sounding voice. The ghost miners have grabbed onto Reggie, Jill, and Zoey by their shoulders. They helped the secret society ghost get rid of the kids clinging onto him. The kids thought that it was useless to fight back against the ghosts. Since the kicks and punches they give to them just go right through them. The secret society ghost wiped his gray cloak. "Take them away." The ghostly member ordered to the ghost miners. Jill, Reggie, and Zoey found themselves floating again.

The ghosts floated off the floor and Reggie closed his eyes. Jill tried to slap the ghost carrying her, but it was no good. "It's no use fighting back against us. The spell will be cast." The miner ghosts said together. Sonny's great grandfather floated until he was next to the cage. The ghost miners throwed Jill, Zoey, and Reggie inside the cage. The iron barred door was shut. Sonny's great grandfather put a padlock on the door. "Great grandfather. You might not know me, but I am your great grandson." Sonny told him. The ghost of Sonny's ancestor stopped for a moment. He stared at Sonny. His eyes were red behind the aura of light. "You won't allow the secret society members to do this. I know you wouldn't. Please let us out of here, and we could stop them" Sonny pleaded. The ghost of his ancestor ignored him. "The spell will be cast." He chanted along with the other secret society members. He floated down towards the ground. He landed back in the small circle that he stood in. "Why don't you let us go? We won't tell anybody about this place, just please let us go." Reggie whined. A miner ghost floated next to part of the cage where Reggie was standing in. He gave him an angry glare. "The secret society will care less if you complain. I think it's best for you to listen to the secret society, and to not interrupt them." The miner ghost said menacingly to him. Reggie, intimidated by the ghost, hid behind some of him other friends. The miner ghost vanished into thin air. "Just a minute there Mr. Mayor." Dennis shouted. "You said that we have learned too much. Is it because of the spell you are going to cast? Why didn't you scare us away like with the others who came to this ghost town?" The mayor stared to look at him. "Yes, you have learned about the spell we are going to use. You are right, we do not want anybody else to know about the spell. They would want to try to cast the first spell we have tried to use years ago. We do not want people to know what we are doing here. They might want to become powerful humans themselves. That would also mean that the government officials could capture us." "That wouldn't be the case. You see if we told anybody about what you were doing here. Then nobody would believe us. They would think that we're crazy." Bert said. "Silence!" Sonny's ancestor shouted at him.

"I know about you humans too well. There are going to be some people who will believe you. The technology that this time has to offer could enable you to share what you have found with others. If even one video of us showed up on the place you kids call the internet. That could be dangerous for the secret society and me. If even a large number of people saw videos about us casting the spell, they would come here, and try to stop us." There was a short silence. "I was going to cast a different spell before a long time ago when this place became a ghost town. I did not read the instructions properly. When your great grandfather found out about the spell he was horrified. He then moved out of town the next day. When the spell went awry, I turned everyone of the townspeople and myself into ghosts. We have haunted this place ever since. When that happened, some of the shops and stores, started to rot away sluggishly. I realized my mistake. From that point on. We started to haunt the town. We scared away careless explorers. Then a group came along and proved how some of the videos the adventurers have taken could be fake. I originally wanted to scare you all out of town. Then your friend's father told you that his ancestors once lived here. I knew, that scaring you away would be useless. Besides, we can get the ghost of our lost society member back. Then we could cast the ultimate ghost spell." The mayor went to read the spell book. The miner ghosts from earlier put the items and ingredients in the middle of the drawn circle. "Why did you cast the spell even when my great grandfather left you? Why did he join the secret society?" Sonny asked. The mayor looked up with a serious expression on his face and held onto the spell book with both hands.

He also started to chuckle a little. "The society during that time was our own town council. We would try to make this town better than it already is. We looked for different ways to attract tourists and open new businesses around here. One day, one of our members found a spell book in the library. The townspeople never borrowed it. They think it is just phony bologna. Until the same society member asked me to try out one of the spells with him. This spell made a small rain cloud appear out of nowhere .I took the spell book to my office and figured what other kinds of spells that could be used to help with the town's tourism. I then discovered the spell that could make a group of humans invincible. It was perfect. I then decided to make the town council 'vanish' from the face of the other residents. I turned the town council into a secret society. Your grandfather found out about this. Naturally, he came to confront me. I told him about the spell we are going to use. He argued that there must be better ways to make tourists come here. I argued that we could put Cecil Town on the map for having the most powerful human beings in existence. Your great grandfather left the town hall after not convincing me about how there were better ways to bring tourists to this town. The next day, he disappeared. Nobody knows where he was. The house that your ancestor lived in was empty. I assumed that he left town. I then got some cloaks for our society to wear. I then got the society members to gather in the cave." "Wait a minute, I thought you cast the spell somewhere in the mine, and not here. That's why the spell might have messed up." Reggie shouted. "You guessed wrong child. I have gotten a copy of the mine's map in my office. I discovered the cave was connected to a few of the mine's tunnels. Then I rounded up the secret society for a meeting. I discussed that we could cast the super ultimate ghost spell. We thought that since your ancestor wasn't a part of our society anymore, we could cast the spell right away." The mayor continued. "Then something went wrong. I should have been here then." Sonny's great grandfather's ghost spoke.