Chapter 25

The mayor wailed as the ghosts now grabbed onto his arms. "Let go of me. I am your mayor!" He shouted to ghostly townspeople. Dennis and his friends ran to join the adults. "How did you make it here?" Dennis asked his dad. "The ghosts gave us a map of the whole mine." Mr. Binge replied. "How did you parents get past the ghosts?" Bert questioned. "We convinced them that the mayor betrayed them. He was part of the reason why this town is a ghost town. After that, they helped us to get into the mine. They took down the boards blocking the entrance." Mr. Binge answered. "So, what do we do now?" Zoey queried. The miner ghosts from earlier all stood in front of them. The white aura surrounding their faces was as bright as a flashlight. "We're sorry that we put you kids in the cage. We were only listening to our mayor. He promised that Cecil Town would be the best town in all the land." One miner said.

"We're also sorry that you had to face those giant spiders. Some of these spiders have lived here in the cave even before the town opened. They would be the biggest spiders that anybody would have seen. We would have liked to have built a zoo that would house the creatures. We even told the mayor." Another miner adduced. "Wait a minute, there are giant spiders here?" Jill and Zoey's mom pumped. "That's another story mom. We could tell you about them when we get back home." Zoey responded not wanting to be reminded of the trouble that the giant arachnids have caused for her and the friends. "Instead, the mayor plans to make himself and his secret society to be the most powerful people in the world. The townspeople have told us everything." A third miner added. "I think a zoo for a bunch of giant spiders would be a scary idea. Besides, they would go and cause a lot of trouble if they escaped right? I mean they could be nuisances spinning webs all over the town buildings and attacking the people. And that would be horrible." Bert's dad told the miners. One of the ghosts stole the spell book out of the mayor's hands. "Give that book back. It's mine!" Mayor Harold shouted to the ghostly civilians angrily. "You and your plans to make the town better have caused us to become ghosts. And what have we got in return? We got turned into ghosts and our town is long forgotten." A lady ghost retorted furiously at the mayor's face. "Why are we ghosts Mr. Mayor? I thought you cared about this town and us children" A boy ghost said from the right. "Why didn't you create anything exciting for us Mr. Mayor? Why are we ghosts? This is not fun. I did not have a chance of becoming a farmer. That's my dream." A girl ghost said with a sad face. "You have done more harm to this town than helped it." Another ghost said holding his left arm. "Let go of me. The ultimate ghost spell was the key to making this town famous. Famous for having its powerful leaders. Then the town could gain money. That way we could provide more fun and excitement for the town's children and adults." The mayor pleaded, struggling to free his arms and hands.

Two ghostly townsfolk held Mayor Harold by the wrists. Two others held him by his arms. Harold Fern Struggled to free himself. "You are all bad townsfolk. You will all pay. If you all had been patient and had more faith in me, then I can realize your needs." The townsfolk took no notice. The ghost lady holding the book than chanted a spell. "No! You shall not cast any spell. Only I have the right to do that!" The mayor yelled while struggling to free himself. The lady finished the chant. Nothing happened. "Let's throw the secret society in the cage." "Yeah, then they'll respect the town a lot more." The townspeople ghost carried the secret society members to the cage. "You will be sorry that you'll lock us up." One of the secret society members shouted while being carried away. The miner ghosts went to help the townspeople ghosts. They stood next to the entrance of the cage. They waited until the secret society members were all inside. Mayor Harold Fern tried to fight back. The ghosts all had a firm grip on him. He was thrown in the cage too. Then the ghost miner locked the cage door. "Let me out!" The secret society members shouted to the ghosts. "No, let us out!" The mayor screamed. His human face disappeared. A skull was now on his neck. He let out a horrible scream. Dennis and his friends screamed and covered their ears. His face reverted back to his human face. "Get us out!" Harold Fern screamed again. The townspeople ghosts floated around the cage. They all had frustrated or disappointed expressions on their faces. "Don't be mad at me. I am doing everything I can to make this town more popular than Las Vegas. You should be ashamed for keeping the secret society locked in here." Mayor Harold scolded the ghosts. The lady holding the spell book came to Mr. Binge. She handed him a map. "Take this. Take the time to quickly memorize it." The ghost lady told him. Dennis' dad studied the map. "I know this route. The ghosts showed us this way, except that we have to go down a mine tunnel that has some mine cart rails." He said, showing the map to the other three adults. The kids all looked at each other. "We did it guys. We stopped the mayor." Dennis told his friends. They all cheered. "Wait a minute guys? Something is wrong with this picture." Reggie said looking at the ghost lady. She chanted another spell from the spell book. "Excuse me, lady?" Reggie queried. The lady closed the book and looked at Reggie. "Why should our parents memorize the map quickly?" He asked her. The lady held the spell book over a cave stalagmite. "So that you could all run out of here, while the mine collapses." She explained. The ghost lady then pierced the book through the stalagmite.