16- Why does it hurt?

I am hurting myself more to hurt them less,
but I end up hurting them more by hurting myself.

..........…

The same night

Pete

'Dad! We usually never attend such events in which media is present. Why are we even going?'

'Even I don't like attending them, Peter. But sometimes we have to. I got a special invitation. Don't worry I'm not gonna reveal your face.'

'Dad, stop calling me that. Vegas heard you and now he also teases me by the same name.'

'Haha! Come on. You'll eventually meet Vegas there as well. You won't get bored.'

'Whatever dad.'

We reached the event a bit late. There was something already going on there. A lot of flashes of cameras reaching the people on the stage. It looked like some kind of announcement. No one really paid attention to me. Just how I like it.

I slipped away from my dad. I was searching for Vegas. I thought of telling him earlier but a surprise appearance would be better I thought.

'Both of them look so pretty.'

'A perfect couple.'

'They both look so happy.'

'I heard the girl is pregnant with his child that is why they are rushing the announcement.'

I heard people clapping while whispering in low voice. The media was trying their best to click their picture. It's not like I care so I kept on wandering around when I heard one of them.

'Those Kornwits are attention seekers. The elder son is a Playboy often seen in adult clubs. He even works with mafia. Poor girl, he must have tricked her.'

My legs felt weak. Please don't be Vegas.
I still went ahead, cutting the crowd to have a look at the stage which was surrounded by media, silently chanting Please don't be Vegas. Don't be Vegas and when I looked at the stage, it was. It was Vegas. With a girl. Holding hands. Smiling. People congratulating them. His dad and Macau were standing beside him. Mac too. I thought of him as my younger brother. He too.

Our eyes met. His smile disappeared and he panicked. My eyes were filled with tears. I never even in my dream expected that. Was Vegas playing with my feelings? Why?

I turned away to go back. Even when no one know, I and Vegas knew. I felt humiliated. I was about to go back to my car when someone called me.

'Hey Pete. You came. Where is your father?' Uncle Kan came to me smiling. I smiled at him and gestured towards my father. 'Sam and Vegas always wanted to get married. But who knew it would be so soon. You are his friend right, did Vegas tell you about it?'

'No uncle. He didn't. Excuse me. I have to make a call.' And I ran away.
Bastard. I never thought he would stoop so low. Why Vegas. He never mentioned anything. I was aware about Sam and Vegas working together. But Vegas works with me as well.  Maybe Sam was better than me. I need to leave this place. Just when I went out Macau came running towards me.

'Pete, Pete. Did you know about this?'

I shook my head in no when suddenly a tear fell down. Macau hugged me. 'I'm sorry Pete. Vegas must be having an explanation.'