16. Starring...

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must lead."

― Charles Bukowski

There's always a bigger boss somewhere. Then, that boss has a boss and so on and so forth. Wayne has always been the go-to guy when dirty work needs to be done. Whether it's kidnapping or getting rid of a common target, no one is safe from him. He knows it's a man-hunt-man world. He has to do what he's known for or his life is the one in danger.

Even though Wayne's boss could easily identify as a bigger threat, no one dared to cross him. He could report anything about anyone, and they'd disappear in days. Sometimes hours. He had too many connections around the world. Even with the powerful figures he became friendly with, they couldn't top the man who ruled over them all.

Now every boss has a boss who has a boss who has a boss who are all connected to a boss who gives orders from Africa. Then that boss is connected to his boss by marriage who is connected to his boss by blood relations who has a connection with his boss by a long-term alliance. That long-term alliance is offered by the man who watches over the world like he was a god. No one has any information on him, yet everyone is afraid of him.

Mr. Black had been this man for over ten years. He was familiar with how the world worked. With all the mafia leaders in the palm of his hand, he could do anything. But he never did much of anything. He was like their god. Watching over each of them as if they were his children. If there was anything that happened without his consent, he made sure to make it his business. Which was why he'd called for a few of his advisors to set a few people straight.

"Leave it to Jackson to screw with everyone's heads," he muttered more to himself than anyone in the room with him.

"What has he done this time?" one of his advisors asked.

"Why does that concern you?"

"I'm just asking..."

"Well, stop asking me things. It's my business. Just because I said something aloud for everyone else to hear, it doesn't mean I wanted a second opinion."

"Rude."

Mr. Black rolled his eyes and sat back in his chair. "No, it's my way of telling you to hush and let me think."

A guard opened the door and stood at attention. "Sir, Aaron is here." He stepped aside to let him in.

"Mr. Black. It's nice to finally meet with you," Aaron said.

"It's nice? Not an honor?" Mr. Black crossed his arms. "I'm not one of your subordinates, Aaron. Though, I do appreciate you coming when I called for you. A certain someone is taking their precious time."

"José?"

"No, he's in hiding, once again. Hiding from who? That I don't know."

"Jessie Lawson is keeping tabs on him. I assume that's why they haven't been able to contact you."

"I'm the leader of this forsaken world! Why would anyone be afraid to contact me? Jessie is an old man. What's he going to do if he finds out I've always been one step ahead?"

"Have a heart attack and die."

The room fell into complete silence. Even the air conditioning shut off. No one wanted to laugh. It wasn't funny, but the thought of that happening almost brought a smile to Mr. Black's face. He turned away from Aaron to hide his expression. The chances of Jessie Lawson finding exactly where he is was one in a million. Even if he managed to do that, too many people would be waiting for him to land.

"Anyway...that's not what I wanted to speak to you about." Mr. Black gestured for Aaron to take a seat. The guard left the room, closing the door behind him. "I know you've heard about Sha'Kera's planned kidnapping. I wish there was something I could do, but there's someone I need to catch."

"I've heard, but what does that have to do with me?" Aaron asked.

"You're my messenger, Aaron. I need you to relay a few orders to some people."

"And what if I don't?"

Mr. Black sighed, annoyed that someone was trying to stand up to him. Even though he was also on the older side, there would always be something everyone was afraid. Something he could do that no one else in the world would never have the power to do. It's not easy being king of the world.

"Aaron, how would Fae feel to know you put her life in danger, because you wouldn't follow simple orders?" he asked.

Aaron grimaced, but didn't say anything.

"Mr. Moretti." Mr. Black turned to one of his advisors. "See to it that Aaron does as he's told. I also want you to look into the whereabouts of Jessie's family."

"Everyone?"

"Everyone. We don't know who knows what these days. Romano, could you inform the strategists of our plan? We'll meet in...say...fifteen minutes?"

"Yes, sir."

Both advisors stood up and left the room. Aaron took his time doing as he was told. He was getting sick of having everyone tell him what to do. He wanted to find his own way, but without the right connections, he'd be on his own. He didn't want that. Having at least one powerful person behind him was his plan.

"Aaron," Mr. Black said before he left the room. "Remember, power lies not only in strength and brutality, but also in the cunning of the mind. The world will always underestimate us, but it's my simplicity that sets us apart from everyone else. It's what made me unstoppable."

Aaron huffed and slammed the door. Mr. Black chuckled. He wasn't fazed by one man's lack of brains. There were others willing to lay down their life for him.

"Sir, we have a problem!" Romano burst into the room.

"Already? Didn't you just leave?" Mr. Blacked joked.

"Word travels fast. Donatelli and his gang were spotted lurking near the dunes at the end of the swamp."

"Ah, our loyal rival. What do they want this time?"

"Word has it that they're looking to expand their territory. Permanently."

"Funny. They never learn, do they? Let's show them the price they'll pay for having the audacity."