37. Espíritu

I woke up a few days later, feeling more refreshed than I had been in the last couple of months. The staff were overly kind to me. I suspected most of them knew me from a fan standpoint. I didn't mind that, but what I really wanted to do was leave. I wanted to see my kids again.

"Where am I?" I finally asked the question I should have asked when I first arrived.

"Espíritu." A nurse smiled at me.

"Spirit?"

"Yes. It's one of two general hospitals on Phantom Isles."

"Phantom Isles?"

"Have you never heard of us?"

"No. I've never seen it on any map."

"That's because we aren't, silly." She laughed. "Well, we won't be on the map for a while. Our newly appointed leader is at the UN meeting right now. We're either going to become a part of the United States, Russia, or the United Kingdom."

"Why the United Kingdom? Why not Canada?"

"Liam Lawson was our founder. Since he's English, the UK has every right to claim it."

"Russia for its proximity. The United States for its...proximity, too?"

"Most of us who live here came from the United States. We trade with Russia sometimes. That's why we have most of what we need here."

"How long will the meeting last?"

"Well, that depends on if they plan on fighting for ownership rights. We're thinking of asking for a legal name change."

"I mean...it's not that bad."

"You really think we'll get tourists with this name? We'll sound like a joke."

"Or is it because you think the name no longer suits you guys? You're no longer a ghost island. Everyone knows this place exists. And you'll get tons of tourists." I sat up. "Trust me, there are a lot of people out there who would love to see how you guys did without a real government."

"I just want us to be our own country, you know?" The nurse smiled to herself. I get that. After years of not having to answer to anyone who wasn't Liam, it's going to be hard for everyone to adjust to being part of a real country. I don't blame any of them for wanting to be separate from the world.

"Hey, did you hear anything about Liam's family?" I asked. I had to know. "His sister, maybe?"

"London is doing fine. She wasn't hurt or anything. I can't say the same for his brother. He fought against Liam until the wedding. He was barely alive when the FBI found him."

"That's a shame." Someone else entered the room. "I'm Dr. Bentley. I examined you when you arrived. How are you feeling?"

"Pretty good. Better than I've ever felt before."

"That's great. Sierra, why don't you check on the babies? I think it's nearing feeding time."

"Yes, ma'am."

Once we were alone, Dr. Bentley began checking the machines and drawing blood. I was particularly fond of this, but she was just doing her job. She worked in silence, but it was too weird. There was no awkward eye contact, because she always had something to say when she caught my eye.

"All right, all done." She smiled at me. "We can have you out of here tomorrow morning. Do you have anyone you want to call?"

"...Uh, my parents," I said.

"We'll get that set up. Will they be coming to pick you up, too?"

"No. They wouldn't know where this place is. I'll just call a friend of mine and see if he can get me a flight home."