13. Tell Me What I Need to Know

I walked into the building, hoping no one would stop me. The staff had an annoying habit of asking too many questions. I get that my appearance is suspicious, but I don't need to waste time speaking to anyone who isn't Derek.

Marcel called me right before I got to the Pediatrics floor. I tried not to make it obvious that I didn't want anyone to hear our conversation. Everything was supposed to be top secret. Joseph already knew I was performing with King. There hadn't been any reporters outside the studio that day. No news articles said they're seen him either.

"I'm at the hospital," I said.

"Oh, why?" Marcel seemed a bit concerned.

"Visiting my husband. What do you need?"

"I just wanted you to know that Oceania plans on coming by next week. They haven't set a date, but it might be Wednesday. Maybe Thursday."

"Really? I thought they wanted to cancel."

"Nope. I spoke to their producer last night. He wants them to collab with you. I think it's a good thing."

"Eh...I've lost interest in them."

"Come on!"

"Marcel, I don't exactly like making music with people who pretend to cancel last minute."

"Ugh, fine. I'll ask their producer to back off."

"...Nevermind." I sighed. "If they want to come down, then they can. I'm just not going to Albany for any future collaborations. I have enough on my plate already."

"Jeez, Spade. I'll get back with them on that. See you next week."

"There's nothing else you need from me this week?"

"Not at the moment. Our crew is going over the itinerary, contacting the other artists performing during your tour, then we're making sure everything is booked. Any last minute changes are prohibited, so if you want to do something, say it now."

"Can we make a stop in Lyon? I want to visit a few friends."

"I can make that happen. Lucky for you, we pass through France on our way to Spain. I could get you on a flight there, then to Spain in time for your interview."

"Nice. Thank you, Marcel."

"Anything for you, Spade."

I hung up and spotted Brenda getting up from her seat behind the desk. She hadn't seen me yet, so if I wasn't fast enough, she'd leave. I couldn't let that happen.

"Brenda, I'm glad I caught you," I exclaimed.

"Oh...Hi, Mrs. D'Aquilla. What's up?" She smiled.

"Where's Derek?"

"Uh...he's...working. He told me to make sure no one bothers him."

"By no one he meant everyone but me, right?"

"I suppose so. Do you want me to tell him that you're coming?"

"No. It's a surprise." I grinned and turned away from the desk.

"Wait."

"Yes?" I looked at her.

"Aren't you...Black Spade?"

"...Uh, maybe. Who's asking?"

"I thought I recognized you from somewhere. I knew Dr. D'Aquilla wouldn't settle for anyone else."

Of course, he wouldn't. If he so much as cheats on me with someone not half as good as me, then he and I are finished. If you're going to cheat, do it with someone better than your current spouse. Commonsense.