21. Service No Longer Required

Derek didn't spend much time in his home after his wife's disappearance. He needed to look like a husband in distress. The authorities had questioned him over and over again, but they could never build a case against him. He hadn't been in contact with anyone about Sha'Kera's planned kidnapping in years. Everything just fell into place.

They couldn't place him in Astoria, because he'd been at work that day. Lexi and Jordan had been their only leads, but they were busy with their own problems. If Jordan hadn't been working for Derek, then things could have gone sideways. Like him being put at the scene of the crime. Of course, his contacts would have come to light. Who knows what could happen to the strict order of the mafia world?

The situation at hand didn't stop Derek from cheating. He had been peeved Sha'Kera had caught him, but he didn't care. The people who knew him wouldn't bat an eyelash. Everyone else would think he was the reason she disappeared. They wouldn't be completely wrong.

Addison had returned to the mansion to get the rest of her clothing. Her grandparents had allowed her to stay at a friends'. They weren't keen on the arrangement, but they knew how she was. If she wanted to do something, she'd do it with or without permission. Besides, Addison had a plan. She was determined to set everything into motion.

She walked into the house without a thought in her mind. She just wanted to get her clothes and head back to her friend's house. That didn't happen. She met Maddie on the stairs.

"What are you doing?" she asked.

"Leaving." Maddie held up a bag. It didn't look like much, but the staff didn't stay in the mansion for extended periods of time. "I told myself I'd stick around, but I can't do it. Master Derek is out of control."

"Where are you going to go?"

"The Davidsons."

"Aren't they having problems of their own?"

"...I wasn't supposed to tell you this, but they had come for your mother."

"What?" Addison dragged her upstairs. Julie and Nancy met them at the top. "You guys are leaving, too?"

"Yeah. Not much we can do about his cheating...Again."

"Hold up. Not only is he cheating, but he doesn't care that my mother is missing?"

"Addi, we did as much as we could to keep your mother safe, but I guess fate has its ways." Julie began heading downstairs. "Nancy and I are going to find other jobs. If your mom is found, then we'll come back. If not..."

Addison didn't need her to continue. She had a feeling she knew what Julie was trying to say. Even though everyone seemed to have given up on the search, she knew her mother would show up again. Addison didn't want to believe her mother was dead.

"Let's go." Maddie took Addison to her room to help her pack. "It was none of my business, but I heard your mother talking about it when she came home the night before she went missing. I thought they had something to do with her disappearance..."

"Do they?"

"No. They don't even know where she is. I offered my services to them. I know I could easily find a better paying job, but cleaning is all I know. In this day and age, if you know how to clean well, someone somewhere has a use for you."

"Maddie, you could stay with my grandparents."

"I am..."

"The Davidsons aren't my grandparents."

"Yes, they are."

"No..."

"Your mother found out the day before she went missing. Addison, there's a possibility they know who has her, but can't say anything."