19. I Should Have Stayed Home Today

Asher's business in Astoria wasn't all that. I guess he wanted to appeal to a different audience. There are a lot of changes going on in the world. He does know how to keep up with current trends. I suppose he does know what he's doing then.

Lexi was nowhere to be found when we walked inside. In this dimly lit lobby, I'm surprised anyone can see anything. A saleswoman came up to us, her chest on full display. Either she didn't know, or care, who I was, because she flat out flirted with Jordan. He didn't seem to mind, but I was here on a mission. I didn't need him getting distracted.

"Could you tell us where your boss is?" I asked, interrupting her attempt to shove her boobs in Jordan's face. She tossed me an annoyed look.

"Mr. Monteil isn't working here today." She rolled her eyes. "You'll have to come back in two weeks."

"Mrs. Monteil."

"...She's in the back." She didn't move to go find her.

"Uh...I'd like you to get her for me, please." I snapped in her face. She scoffed.

Once she was gone, Jordan chuckled and began looking around. I couldn't tell if he was just intrigued or really interested in buying something. The look on his face could have meant anything. At some point, he picked up a piece of clothing and smiled. Who was he thinking about?

Lexi finally showed up, decked out in the cutest satin pantsuit. I had the urge to buy one, because it looked so good on her. Our body types were nearly the same.

"¿Qué?" she asked.

"We need to talk," I muttered, looking around. "Jordan's here, too."

"Genial...simplemente genial."

"What..."

"Nada. Sígueme."

I called Jordan over and we followed Lexi to the back. It was much lighter, so I felt a little more comfortable being here. The stockers looked a little ticked off, but who really likes restocking?

"Tenía la sensación de que ibas a querer hablar conmigo de nuevo," Lexi said. "Supongo que estoy preocupado por nada. Te ves bien para mí." I had a feeling you were going to want to talk to me again. I guess I'm worried about nothing. You look good to me.

"Hago mi mejor esfuerzo." I do my best.

"Just like how you went to see Luca and not me?" I frowned. "I know what you talked about last night. Were you drunk or something? Maybe you hit your head? I guess the truth really does come out when you're intoxicated."

"¿De qué estás hablando?" What are you talking about?

"Don't play dumb with me, Sha'Kera. I've always tried to help you out in any way I could. As your friend, I thought I'd be the person you'd confide in. Why Luca? Why not one of your friends? I wouldn't have been mad if it was one of them calling me at midnight, saying you spilled my secrets."

"Secrets?"

"Yeah...but you know what hurt me even more? He didn't even tell me, he called Asher. Eso me cabreó." Lexi barked out a laugh and began hanging up some clothing. "I can only assume you're here because of Derek. Am I right?"

"...Yes."

"So, he finally told you?"

"Told me what?"

"Supongo que no..."

"Lexi!"

She turned around to look at me. Jordan didn't say anything. He just shoved his hands in his pockets and looked at Lexi. I feel like he knows something.