Sixteen

I'm fully ready for the ball and I still have yet to see Blaise. I feel physically ill. I cannot be embarrassed in front of everyone. It's getting close to the time I need to leave and I can't stop pacing in my room. Ava left with Draco about 20 minutes ago and neither of them has seen him since last night. 

It's time to go and I take a deep breath as I exit my room towards the Slytherin common room. I'm debating on not showing up, that's better than showing up alone. I look around the room hoping he's out here waiting for me but to my disappointment he isn't. 

I leave towards the hallway leading into the ballroom. "Hailee." A voice stops me in my tracks. "Where the hell were you!? And what happened to your face," I grab his chin and move his head to the side to get a better view of his bruised face. "Can I explain later," Blaise seems uncomfortable with my question. "Fine," I don't argue because we'll be late.

He holds out his arm for me and I intertwine mine with his. "I hope you know how to dance," I make conversation on our walk. He smiles, "I've never danced with anyone, but I think I'll manage." I can't believe he has never danced with someone and the first person to dance with him will be me!

We make our grand entrance and everyone is whispering to their friends pointing at us as we walk down the stairs. He squeezes his grip tighter around my waist trying to find comfort from all the people staring at us.

-

"Hello students, If the champions would grab their partners and head to the dance floor for the first dance," Dumbledore steals people's attention allowing Blaise to finally relax. He takes my hand and walks to me to the center floor. The music begins and the contestants start to dance.

Blaise slowly rubbed his hand on my lower back, sending shivers through my body. "Why are you tense at my touch," he asks seriously. I look away shyly and smile slightly. I didn't realize I was so obvious. "Look at me Hailee," he pulls me in going against the dance. "Blaise, what are you doing? People are staring," I meet his intense eyes. "Let them."

Dumbledore takes Professor McGonagall and joins us on the dance floor. Others start to pile in but Blaise doesn't lose focus on me. "We don't have to continue," I say unsure that he would want to proceed dancing. "Shh, let's just enjoy this while it lasts," he says extremely vague. I look at him in confusion but decide to do exactly as he says.

I've never felt so at ease doing something that would usually make me uncomfortable. The fact that everyone knows he's mine, has my stomach fluttering. The song ends and we leave the floor to an empty table.

"Blaise do you want to tell me what has your attention," I say quietly so no one overhears. "Nothing other than you," he gives me a weak smile. "If that were true you wouldn't have been able to take your eyes off me, but instead you've been looking into the distance in a completely different world," I tell him what I've observed throughout the night.

"You're right, I'm not used to allowing everyone to see this side of me and I've just shown the whole school," he rests his elbows on his knees and looks to the ground. "Hey guys!"

Blaise sits up straight and puts on an expressionless face. "Only could convince him for one dance," Draco jokes and nudges him. I notice Blaise is on the verge of blowing up and he's not in the mood for jokes. "Yeah, now we're leaving for a moment," I stand up and he makes eye contact with me.

He looks furious, but it's not about me. He hesitatingly gets up and I pull him by his arm. Once we get into the empty hallway he tugs his arm away from my grip. "Um, no," I grab it again and though he could get away from me he allows it. "Why are you so tense," I want him to open up to me. "I know you're trying to help but if you don't let me go I will lose my shit."