01. awkward encounters and ghastly interviews

chapter one,awkward encounters and ghastly interviews

chapter one,
awkward encounters and ghastly interviews.

SOPHIE COLLINS STOOD BEFORE THE MAN STARING AT HIM INCREDOUSLY. "You don't understand," her voice already sounded pathetic. She carefully leaned on the counter in front of her, trying her best to ignore the growingly impatient queue behind her. "I can't get a letter of recommendation or parental signatures," she explained slowly taking a deep breath, willing herself to calm down. "It's just not possible."

The man shook his head, carefully handing back her papers. "I'm sorry but there's nothing I can do."

"Please," Sophie begged, refusing to take her certificate back. She tucked her frizzy curls behind her ears before clasping her hands together. "I have been travelling for the past eight and half hours, I have nowhere to go. Let me just talk to someone. Please."

Sophie may as well have been talking to the wall, the man's face was void of any emotion apart from a small frown on his lips. "I'm sorry," he paused, averting his gaze. "But if you really need somewhere, Kensel Green can never find enough night watch. They won't turn you away."

The tall girl could hear the annoyed muttering behind her and she realized there was no point in putting up any more of a fight. Sophie grabbed the papers from the desk, and muttered a thank you before turning around keeping her eyes glued on the floor in front of her, refusing to lift her gaze until she reached the tall revolving doors of the exit.

She paused, fixing the cream scarf around her neck in an attempt to protect her from the harsh January weather. Taking a deep breath, Sophie fixed her grip on the handle of her unreasonably heavy suitcase in her other hand before making her way out of the Fittes building.

The freezing breeze wasn't the first thing that hit Sophie when she stepped outside, instead, a tall solid figure crashed into her making her lose her footing. A hand shot out in an attempt to steady her and she quickly grabbed it, resulting in her documentation hopelessly falling onto the damp ground.

"No, no, no," she muttered, crouching down but the tall figure was by her side in seconds, gathering up her papers.

"I am incredibly sorry," a boy spoke up, and once Sophie tore her gaze from the puddled concrete beneath her she was greeted by warm brown eyes. Sophie's hands stilled immediately, her gaze flicking across the boy's face. His dark hair was swept back neatly, looking as put together as the suit he was wearing. Which was an odd choice of dress given he looked only a year at most older than her. "Miss..." His dark gaze flicked down to the papers in his hands. "Sophie Collins."

Sophie stood back up, with him quickly copying her movements. "It's no worries, honestly," she finally spoke up, embarrassed by her moment of silence. She gave him a small smile that paled in comparison to his megawatt grin. "I should watch where I'm going."

His eyes strayed to her CV once more before focusing on her with a steady gaze. "Impressive resumé," he admitted handing her back the papers.

She took them back with a sigh. "Not impressive enough, apparently," she blurted out bitterly.