05. bright pink socks and spiteful bellends

chapter five,bright pink socks and spiteful bellends

chapter five,
bright pink socks and spiteful bellends.

SOPHIE WAVED A THANK YOU to the taxi that stopped to let the four teenagers cross the road. "It's not about us helping Annabel," Lockwood spoke, leading his team down the busy street. They were on their way to the library for much-needed research on Annie Ward, even though not even half an hour ago Lockwood wanted nothing more to do with the ghost. "It's about her helping us."

"Really? How?" Lucy asked from beside Sophie.

"It's all about media exposure. Annabel's disappearance was a big story, far bigger than us burning a house down," the boy smiled at his friends, much more confident than early on. "If we solve her murder, the headlines we'll get will cancel out all our bad press overnight."

Sophie scoffed, glancing at the boy to her left. "I thought you wanted to be done with all of this? 'No more pet projects'," she quoted him.

"It's not a pet project anymore," he replied rolling his eyes. Sophie could tell he was getting frustrated at his friends for not seeing the picture of all this. "It's the main event."

"It won't make us sixty grand," George mumbled hopelessly.

"it could make us more," Lockwood laughed, his dark eyes lighting up in excitement. "I mean, think of the millions of old people sat at home, nothing to do but reminisce and read the papers. It's a bona fide front-page splash and Barnes wouldn't dare to make a move against us then."

Sophie halted her stride, grabbing the boy's arm and making him stop with her. "Just promise you won't mention me, okay?" She paused before speaking again. "Or anything to do with my connection with Annabel."

"What? Are you shy?" He teased flashing her a grin but Sophie just shook her head unimpressed.

"I'm being serious," she replied, staring up at the boy. "I just don't want that kind of attention on me."

Lockwood hesitated before nodding. "Of course, anything you say," Sophie could see a conflicted expression cross his face as he spoke again. "I'll handle everything," the girl rolled her eyes, turning away from him to carry on walking.

"You guys better be on your best behaviour in here," George said facing the three teens as the neared the building. The young boy began walking backwards in front of them, nearly tripping over himself in the process. "Everyone here respects me, I don't need you three ruining it."

THE ARCHIVE BUILDING IS WHERE GEORGE KARIM TRIVED, the dark-haired boy was zoned in on the piece he was reading, he was so focused that his nose was nearly touching the page from how close he was. Sophie Collins however was a whole different story, no matter how hard the girl stared at the article she had, she couldn't seem to manage to turn the letters in front of her into actual words in her head.