07. risky jobs and nerve-wracking feelings

chapter seven,risky jobs and nerve-wracking feelings

chapter seven,
risky jobs and nerve-wracking feelings.

THE FOUR OF THEM WERE ALL GATHERED IN THE KITCHEN, Sophie was watching George from her spot on the counter, the boy in question was busy examining Annabel's ring that was securely locked behind silver glass despite it being far too early for any activity. Lucy was nosing next to George hoping to catch a peak through the magnifying gear he had set up prior to their 'urgent' meeting, while Lockwood was seated impatiently beside them at the table.

Although the morning sun was blasting through the window, George still had a harsh lamp shining directly on the glass box. "So what are we looking at?" Lockwood spoke up.

"I put the ring behind silver glass so we can safely examine it," George answered taking a step back from the set-up. Taking this as her chance, Lucy quickly stepped up, eyeing the piece of jewellery. 

"But it's daylight," she quickly pointed out, this was followed by a scoff from the ebony-haired boy.

"Yes, well, to state the obvious I'm a bit more risk-averse than you aren't I?" He replied, adjusting the strength of the lens for her so she could see whatever he found more clearly. "Now the intruder was after the ring, but why?"

Between the shooting pain in her hand and the thoughts reeling through her mind, Sophie didn't get much sleep that night. She would've thought after moving out of the attic- with the help of the other three teenagers, after Sophie accidentally nearly killed Lucy by stealing the ring- She would be able to sleep much better, but the old study they 'renovated' into her makeshift bedroom was just way too quiet. It was so quiet that it made her thoughts ten times louder, and from her and Lockwood's interaction the night before, her thoughts were unbearably loud and jumbled.

So when George barged into the girl's room shaking her awake from her three-hour sleep it took everything in her to not slap him over the head with her pillow.

George nudged Lucy out of the way, placing his camera on the stand, focusing in on the ring before flicking a switch on the side of the device which in turn projected the magnified image on the television that was facing the four.

Sophie immediately jumped from her spot on the counter, moving closer to the screen. "An engraving," she muttered as she crouched down just in front of the TV. The hallmark was somewhat faded, the lettering blending in with the tarnish on the inner band of the ring. "H-two-two-one-one-five."

Lucy moved to stand next to her pulling her knit jumper closer to her body. "Maybe H for Hugo?"

"That's what I thought," George spoke again, Sophie's eyes followed him as he made his way to the counter, grabbing the small playbook. "But who was the other big "H" in Annabel's life."

He quickly flipped through the pages before throwing it on the table with a smug smile. Sophie hovered over the book, staring down at the open pages of Act two, Scene two.