09. bloody rooms and deja vu

chapter nine,bloody rooms and deja vu

chapter nine,
bloody rooms and deja vu.

THE SURPRISE FLARE WAS THE ONE THING the group needed to give them enough confidence to actually investigate the hall instead of making a bolt for it the first chance they got. Although the overwhelming pain and terror emitting from the gallery made it hard for Sophie not to do just that, the room wasn't even the original haunting which was hard to even fathom. If the energy of this area was as strong as it was now, Sophie didn't even want to imagine what the source room would feel like.

Sophie's eyes followed Lucy as the young girl slowly made her way to the staircase. "Be careful," she warned, moving towards her worriedly. Lucy's eyes were shut, doing her best to focus.

"What is it?" George wondered watching the smaller girl's face scrunch up in a grimace. "What do you hear?"

"I can't hear anything," Lucy's eyes shot open, slowly studying the white steps beneath her feet. "If this is the Screaming Staircase, it's being very quiet."

Sophie squint her eyes, cautiously making her way to the stairs. She hesitantly reached out towards the bannister attached to the wall, letting out a soft breath. The wood was cold to the touch, however nothing near as cold as the room she had just stepped out of.

She blocked out the murmur of voices around her, giving her full attention to the infamous staircase. Sophie didn't know what to expect when she focused in but it definitely wasn't whatever this was. It was scarily quiet, the girl wracked her brain in search of at least a low hum or pulse of energy, but she couldn't find any and she definitely couldn't feel any emotions tied to it, if anything it just felt empty.

"Sense anything?" Lockwood's voice was low as he came up behind the girl. She paused for a moment longer waiting for the slightest bit of activity but soon gave up turning to the boy. He was hovering closer to her than she realized, making Sophie instinctively take a step back, looking behind her at the rising steps.

"Nothing," she replied, her brows furrowed. "How could that be possible?"

"Maybe it's taken the night off," George suggested, wandering up the steps. It was obvious to the group that the original haunting wouldn't be anywhere downstairs, so instead the agents decided to head straight for the 'Red Room' which, as Fairfax had told them, was the most likely area of the primary source. 

"Like we should have done," Lucy retorted following in pursuit of the curly-haired boy. Sophie watched the two ascend the staircase a sense of dread taking over her, not from the stairs themselves but from the fear of what was to come.

A hand was placed on the girl's lower back drawing her mind away from her jumbled thoughts as Lockwood spoke up gently. 

"Let's go."