11. overwhelming guilt and missed opportunities

chapter eleven,overwhelming guilt and missed opportunities

chapter eleven,
overwhelming guilt and missed opportunities.

ANNABEL'S GHOST WAS FREE. Her killer dead. The case was finally closed. Yet Sophie didn't feel relieved, not one bit. The group made it home over two hours ago, thanks to the help of DEPRAC, who arrived at the hall only moments after the incident.

Luckily for the group, Ellie was more than willing to rat out her ex-employer, saving the teenagers from the charges facing them for conducting an unlicensed investigation despite DEPRAC's previous orders. Learning about Fairfax's malicious intent and past quickly shut Barnes up.

They were forced to sign an NDA for the privacy of the matter, but if Sophie was being honest she didn't care. She didn't care about the popularity they would've gained if they could've spoken about the case, the number of clients that would've run to their doors. None of it mattered to her.

Sophie felt sick ever since she got home. The amount of guilt consuming her made her want to bury herself in her room and never come out. She tried to fall asleep like the rest of her team but every time she closed her eyes she could hear the suffering screams of the dying man- the man she killed.

Sophie tried to convince herself that she wasn't in control of what she was doing, Annabel's rage and grief so strong it took over her. But she was only lying to herself, she was conscious enough to know what she was doing. She could've stopped herself if she truly wanted, but she didn't.

The rooms above her were silent as Sophie picked up the freshly boiled kettle. She couldn't eat but she needed to do something to ease the awful feeling in her stomach and the first thing that came to mind was a warm cup of tea. Her teabag was already in her usual cup before she poured in the water.

She would usually add a bit of honey but even the thought of it made her stomach churn. Sophie's shaky hands picked up the green mug- her hands have been like that since Combe Carey and Sophie had no idea how to make it stop.

She took in a deep breath as she made her way along the kitchen hoping if she calmed her rapid heartbeats it would also stop the twitching. It was to no avail.

The extra weight in her hands made them spasm uncontrollably until the tea she made spilt all along and in the cracks of the wooden floor beneath her feet.

One minute Sophie was standing over it and the next she was on her knees scrubbing at the mess with nothing but the sleeves of her jumper. She didn't know she was doing it until the wool fabric began to cling to her, the tea burning the skin underneath.

"Sophie," a squeak came from the doorway. Sophie hadn't even heard the younger girl make her way downstairs. "What are you doing?"

The older girl glanced at Lucy who hurried over to the counter, picking up the roll of tissue. "I just spilt my tea it's okay."