12. petty fights and wimbledon wraiths

chapter twelve,petty fights and wimbledon wraiths

chapter twelve,
petty fights and wimbledon wraiths.

SOPHIE DIDN'T GO TO SAMARAN PANDY'S FUNERAL with the rest of her team. She barely even left her room since Combe Carey, apart from every now and then when Lucy would drag her out of the house for a 'well-being walk'. No doubt as an attempt to get her to talk. 

Both George and Lucy could see the change in Lockwood and Sophie; No matter how hard both of them tried to hide the awkwardness. There was no way Lockwood had told the two what happened, especially when he wouldn't even talk to Sophie about it. And Sophie most definitely didn't tell them, she didn't tell anyone. The ghostly tingle on her lips was all that remained from the interaction.

She couldn't eat and it was obvious to everyone that she wasn't sleeping just from her sunken eyes alone. Lucy and George shared worried looks across the table, watching Sophie silently push her food around the plate with her fork. Lockwood, who was sitting at the top wasn't much more talkative.

Lucy and George had no idea what to do. How could they when neither one would tell them what was wrong?

Lucy knew half the reason behind Sophie's behaviour, but as to why Lockwood was acting so gloomy, she was clueless.

"You should really eat something," that was the first time the boy had acknowledged Sophie that day. Although his eyes didn't quite land on her, instead they were fixated on the plate in front of her.

"Am I not invisible anymore?" Sophie cocked her head, her gaze stuck on the worn-out boy.

"Don't be smart Sophie," he scoffed. George's eyes shot up for the goggles in his hands, sheepishly glancing between the pair- he stole Fairfax's goggles from the crime scene in hopes to find out what they were used for. Which is extremely illegal but the boy didn't care much. "Would you ever put those goggles away?"

"Don't get snappy with me because you two are fighting," George replied with a frown.

"We're not fighting," he grumbled.

It was Sophie's turn to scoff, her gaze shifting to the thinking cloth, her eyes skimming over all the scribbles decorating the material. "News to me."

Lucy immediately stood up from her chair feeling the tension in the air grow. "I'll put the goggles away," George's eyes grew wide, his words stumbling out.

"I'll come with."

Lucy snatched the device from the boy's hands, shooting him a flat smile. "No need," Sophie didn't think she'd ever seen anyone walk away so quickly. She crossed the room and was out the door faster than Sophie could comprehend.

It was quiet after that and not a comfortable silence. It was awkward and made everyone feel on edge. George cleared his throat. "So," he spoke after a minute or two, his eyes shifting between Lockwood and Sophie cautiously. "Combe Carey was mad, wasn't it?"