15. arguments and accusations

chapter fifteen, arguments and accusations

chapter fifteen,
 arguments and accusations.

"HERE COMES THE CAVALRY FINALLY," Lockwood scoffed, his hand sliding from Sophie's tight grasp as he stood up, watching the cluster of people begin to gather. "Is everyone okay?"

It was pretty obvious that the three other agents were a complete mess in their own right. George was pacing up and down the spot, muttering about this 'mirror'- about how it makes you feel a certain way, there's something about it. 

Lucy stood a few steps away from the group, clutching her wrist in pain. It was more than just a small nick, it was a deep gash in her skin. But she'd never tell her team that, she thought it was embarrassing enough that she injured herself so badly with her own weapon.

Although Sophie didn't notice the weird behaviour of her two colleagues. She couldn't, she was too preoccupied with watching the corner of the iron net that was unevenly folded over itself. She felt crazy and she knew she sounded crazy too, the looks she'd gotten from the other three were enough confirmation of that.

"It's safe now," Lockwood called out to the crowd, his tone flat. "We secured it."

Sophie heard a woman mumble 'we've got it from here' before being surrounded by a swarm of workers. She finally tore her gaze away from the grave, looking around her at the chaos. 

Hands wrapped themselves around her forearms, helping her stand up. "I'm fine Lockwood," she mumbled, her feet stumbling beneath her.

His hands fell in defeat as she swatted them away. "You're obviously not."

Sophie just shook her head, moving back away from him. Grave diggers alongside a few night watch kids bustled in and out between the four agents. The tall girl slowly walked towards Lucy, who was shuffling her feet in an attempt to distract herself. "Come on," Sophie whispered, guiding the younger girl to an empty space, and gesturing her to sit. "Rest for a minute."

Lucy nodded but didn't say anything. Her eyes stared at the spot on the ground just next to her boots. "You okay George?" Sophie asked, seeing him much quieter than the moment previously. He seemed almost out of it, his glasses were in his hand and his eyes were unfocused, looking in front of him.

"Are we sure it's secured?" He asked, not answering Sophie. "I can still feel it."

"Me too," she replied quietly, rubbing her hands against the sleeves of her jacket. "I just feel... weird."

Flashes lit up the green space every few seconds. The clicks of cameras coming from every direction possible. "What was that in there with him?" Lockwood asked, walking closer to the group. "Some sort of ornament? A mirror?"

"I don't know," George replied, cleaning his lenses. "It was black, but there was something in the blackness."

Sophie remembered the object behind the sheet in the room, the one with the obnoxious noise. Lucy heard the same exact noise coming from whatever was trapped in that coffin. "Whatever it is, it's important," she added with a nod. "Probably the reason for the iron casket."