16. peace offerings and uncovered pasts

chapter sixteen,peace offerings and uncovered pasts

chapter sixteen,
peace offerings and uncovered pasts

THE TRAY IN SOPHIE'S HANDS WOBBLED WHEN SHE KNOCKED ON THE ATTIC DOOR. She wasn't sure if Lucy was going to answer, and she couldn't blame her if she didn't. To say this whole situation was blown way out of proportion was an understatement. From a simple job in the cemetery to Lockwood threatening to fire their youngest member in the heat of the moment. Sophie wouldn't have been surprised if Lucy told her to piss off right then and there, but she didn't.

Instead, quiet footsteps came from the other side of the door. The wooden door creaked open, the familiar short girl peeping out behind it. "Hi," she mumbled, giving the older brunette a small smile. Her voice was hoarse and the puffiness of her eyes was hard to ignore. 

"Luce," Sophie breathed, watching the girl with soft eyes.

"It's okay," she assured, but her tone wasn't as strong as it usually was. "Lockwood apologized."

Sophie merely nodded, not knowing what to say. Her mother had this extraordinary gift of always knowing what to do in any situation, something Sophie had always admired about her. Unfortunately, that gift seemed to skip past Sophie altogether. The best she could come up with at the moment was lifting up the tray filled with the most pathetic excuse of first aid the house had to offer and a complimentary biscuit on the side- one that would not be spoken about. "Peace offering?"

"You don't need a peace offering Sophie," Lucy shook her head with a light scoff. "You didn't do anything wrong."

Lucy opened the door wider, backing up the remaining stairs to make her way up to the bed- where she sat slouched waiting for Sophie to follow.

"Well," the older girl started. She stepped in closing the door carefully behind her before walking up the steps, her focus on the bowl of saline solution that was threatening to spill with every step. "I also didn't exactly stand up for you either."

The mattress dipped under her weight, Lucy turned her body to Sophie watching the tall girl gently pick up the Polaroid that was discarded on the quilt. 

"She's really pretty," Sophie spoke again, her eyes briefly skimming the photo in her hand. It was of Lucy leaning on a redhead's shoulder. They were working, it was evident from the bright yellow uniform they were both wearing. Although, you'd never guess it from the bright smiles on their faces, a twinkle behind Lucy's eyes that Sophie rarely saw.

She handed the picture to Lucy, who took it with a soft smile. "That's Norrie," Sophie placed the tray down, where the picture had been, her gaze not leaving the short-haired girl. She picked the drenched cloth out of the bowl, wringing it out. "It was her idea to come to London"

Sophie gently grabbed Lucy's wrist in her hand. Her sleeve was already pulled up and it was hard to see the actual wound from the blood plastering her arm. She couldn't help but wince at the mess. "She'd be proud of you," she spoke again after a moment, dabbing at the edges of the cut.