[16] Trouble In Paradise

At home, Killua paced back and forth in his bedroom. He shook his hands as if they were wet and rubbed his wrists aggressively on his pant legs. He breathed slowly, in and out, and looked up at the ceiling to prevent tears from spilling over.

Somehow, summers always seemed to make him miserable.

His heartbeat abnormal and his eyelashes still damp, he sat down on the carpet. There, he attempted to count each stitch on his jeans.

"Killua," Jackie exclaimed exasperatedly. She seemed out of breath as she panted in the door way. She had probably run from Gon's house to follow him. "What happened?"

"Oh, nothing, sorry." Killua looked up. "I just needed a bit of time."

"Talk to me, I'm your best friend." She gazed sympathetically, sitting down next to him. "You can tell me anything you know."

Killua never thinks rationally when in this state of emotional distress; logic and reason left him quicker than ever and he found himself unable to imagine any consequences he'd truly have a problem with.

"I'm just—I'm just gonna go out and say it." Killua said. "Gon's actually not my friend; he's my boyfriend."

"I—" she scoffed in disbelief. "I'm sorry, come again?"

"And that bitch, Retz, is his ex-girlfriend. And I've never thought myself to be the jealous type, but every time I look at her face I get so fucking angry and—and frustrated." He seethed. "It's not like she hasn't done anything either; she is actively trying to convince Gon that I'm planning a future without him—whatever the fuck that means. And this is after I excused all the touchiness, the over-affectionate playfulness, and her asking to switch sleeping spots with her because she wanted to sleep with my boyfriend."

Jackie stared at him in complete and utter disbelief. The amount of news that was dropped on her in such a short amount of time was shocking, and she had no time to even process the first thing before the second and third followed soon after. She pursed her lips and managed a sentence.

"I didn't know you were gay." She blurted it out.

"Neither did I, but that isn't the point right now. The point is, I'm angry and if I don't fix it, I'm going to do something stupid and irrational."

Thinking of anyone in her life being gay was something Jackie never actually found herself thinking of, so this was quick to catch her off guard. She felt guilt flood her as memories of the past comments she'd made with her friends around Killua. She could make an insensitive joke now, as inappropriate as it'd be, but she knew better. What Killua needed right now was not his best friend being a homophobic asshole, but his best friend to have his back in this trying situation.

"...I'll hit her for you." She raised a hand. "Since she's a bitch, I'll have no problem swinging at her."

Killua glanced over for a second—she could tell he was considering it, but decided against it.

"No," he mumbled. "No, Gon would find away to put me at fault."

"Well, it sounds like Gon's a shit boyfriend and that I should swing at him too." She shrugged with a sour face.

"No, he's not a shit boyfriend, she's just..." he trailed with narrowed eyes. "Infecting him with her desperateness."

"Oh my God, Killua, if you introduce me to an asshole again I'm gonna lose my mind." She laughed to herself. "I can't believe I was nice to her."

"...He said he'd get back together with her in a year or two. I don't know if he still loves her or if he just can't say no, but it hurt a lot."

"I don't like your boyfriend, Killua."