[18] That's A Wrap / Every Second Counts

This past year had been much more than Killua had ever expected. He'd gotten a boyfriend and navigated his first intimate relationship as well as his own sexuality. He'd grown to accept the parts of him Christianity hated. He rejected the church and its unfounded beliefs. And although this summer may have been one of the worst, he could at least say that he was entering his senior year a new person.

His grades were on track to hopefully get into his colleges of preference, and soon, he'd be able to abandon the miserable life he led, feeding into his family's beliefs. He thought about the new person he'd become after high school. He wouldn't be so afraid anymore. He'd be open and unapologetic. He'd be his true self without exceptions.

Killua could only imagine how terrifying it would be to out to everyone in his life. He nearly shuddered at the thought. But that was a year—minimum—from now, so he needn't worry.

But there were other things he did need to worry about.

***

Gon had spent the last two weeks walking on eggshells. With so much in his present, he couldn't be bothered to think about the past or the future. His heart grew heavy and his soul emitted a tainted glow. His usual optimism died and he became a shell of himself, obvious to everyone who knew him.

His father had returned home for the summer and at the worst of times. In the middle of their imperative conversation, Ging came home, announcing his presence. He remembered being terrified more than excited; the last time he'd seen his dad, he was cut down his arm with a broken, glass bottle. And to make matters worse, his boyfriend was sitting across from him in his room. He was sure both he and Killua would be murdered in his father's fit of fury.

So their conversation never ended up proving useful. Gon still doesn't know what Killua wants. And at this point, he doesn't know what he wants either.

"Gon, I'm just so glad you and Retz are back together. I've always loved that girl." He placed his hands on Gon's shoulders, causing him to flinch suddenly.

"Hm? Yeah. She's great." He answered softly. "Hey, Dad, there's a party this weekend. I was wondering if—"

"Who's going?"

"Uh, well, Dominic invited me and my friends. And there'll be some kids who go to the school. Like...Penny and Jacqueline."

"Well, I don't see why not." He patted his head. "Listen, Gon, I wanna apologize for how I treated you last time I was here. I was...brash and violent."

"Oh." Gon nodded, not holding eye contact for long. "Yeah. Thanks."

"I realized how crazy it was to think that you'd end up gay. I mean, you're my kid." He laughed heartily.

"Yeah." Gon sucked in a breath. "I'm gonna get some food and head out. Me and my friends are gonna tour the city a bit. Mito said I could take her car."

"Alright, just don't be out too late."

"Mhm."

Gon poked absentmindedly at the pizza rolls, not even really thinking about whose favorite food it was. The sight of food, lately, seemed to repulse him every time and he just couldn't say why. He barely pulled his eyes off the wooden table when Retz entered with two cups of raspberry iced tea.

"Hey," she said sympathetically, setting down the drink and taking a seat with her own. "You feeling okay?"

"Yeah." He said, looking up. He looked down and grabbed the drink awkwardly, pulling it up to his lips. "Thanks."