Her Savior

3rd person's POV

Yesterday night, Y/n had a good dream. Maybe 'good' was a massive understatement. It's beyond beautiful, lovely, or even ethereal. She got to eat a great feast for her dinner. Her parents and friends celebrated her birthday. Reminding her once again how precious her existence was to them. She could remember how wide her smile was until the end of the party. Sadly, it's just a broken dream.

She tightly hugged herself. Hoping that she could give a little warmth to her body which desperately needed it. She noticed how the cold air turned her breath into a small misty cloud. Y/n knew that walking aimlessly without any destination in this village would just disappoint her.

There's still hope

That's what she wanted to believe. Maybe not today, not there, but someday and somewhere, she would see the sign. She would have a different life. She would find a place where people accept her for what she is.

Those notions gave her the power and desire to keep walking. If this village couldn't give her what she needed, then there was no reason for her to stay. Sad for her to realize this just now, when she spent over 17 years of her life, wishing that she could contribute something.

Y/n almost couldn't sense it when a lump of snow landed on her head. She stopped her pace. She grabbed it and stared at it for a while. She didn't even have the power to tighten her fist. At least to show the perpetrator that she had enough of it. Y/n let the snow fell to the ground before looking at the juveniles.

"You shouldn't have shoved them off your head, so your demon horns wouldn't be noticeable," one of them said, then proceeded to throw another handful of snow. Although the others followed and had fun, Y/n just couldn't. Their stares scared her, they were even much colder than the air, and yet she could not blame them. She was the lowest kind of creature after all.

There's no rule stating that matter, but all creatures could surely see the line. The ranking. The hierarchy. Y/n just had to be a demon when things like angels, witches, beasts, and humans existed. Based on the invisible stratification, angels are the highest, followed by humans and witches. Imagine being born with a label and it was almost impossible to change your fate. Demons were believed as curses. Let a single demon live just would bring calamity to the world.

Her parents were both humans. Even so, it couldn't guarantee that their child would be a human as well. Witches could even give birth to a child with angel attributes.

They took care of Y/n, knowing that they were against the village. Things became hard for them since that moment. As a child, Y/n couldn't help but think of herself as a burden. At the age of fifteen, her reason to stay in that village was gone. It was her last time feeling loved by the world. She lost her parents, but she held tight to their last request.

Go to the forest. Find her

She's heard many touching stories about that girl from her parents, especially how she's more than willing to help them. If it's true, then maybe, Y/n would have something she wanted to reach.

"You're walking toward the main gate, do you want to escape?" a guy kicked Y/n in the gut. She didn't know whether she had to be thankful or not that the ground was covered by snow because she didn't have to bear additional pain. She only knew him out of four people. Somehow Gunwoo was always the first one to attack. "And what made you think that we would allow you to do so?". If Y/n hadn't prepared any amount of defense with her left forearm supported by the other hand, her head would have met the snowpack. It cost her so much pain in the attacked part though.

Definitely a human, to involve so many physical strikes. Y/n might stand a chance against him, but she wasn't sure about the other three.

Whatever. She huffed to herself. People said, to simply leaving everything to fate as if it was predestined is not realistic. That's why Y/n was not going to wait, she would try for it, work for it, and fight for it.