Dreamlike

Y/n's POV

It felt like I was in a fairytale. The moment I opened my eyes, everything around me was very unfamiliar. A ray of light went through the windows, illuminating the room I was in. I'd never heard birds singing this loud. Even the slightest sounds of leaves or trees rustling, I could hear them in detail. Was my bed always this pillowy? The heat inside the room itself was different from the usual one. Neither cold nor hot that I felt right now. It was warm, it was... perfect.

Maybe I wasn't in a fairytale. 'This must be Heaven' I thought. I was quite sure that I had done many good deeds as my mother taught me to.

"The Deity will give you a brick to build a house for every good deed you've done"

Knowing my mother wouldn't lie to me, I really enjoyed this view right now. I was about to roam around, but a sudden pang of pain right at my right abdomen stopped me from moving. So, I continued lying down. Never in my life have I thought that I would feel pain in the afterlife. Yeah, or maybe it's because I hadn't really died actually.

Other than the pain I had mentioned, I could feel my left forearm being uncomfortable. I took a glance over just to find the short arm cast covering a part of my body. I took a moment to remember what happened to me.

Right. The fight near the village gate.

Sensing the humidity around me, I could conclude that I was not in the village anymore. Looking at how someone patched my wounds somehow ensure me that I was not in a dangerous place, but... who could have been kind enough to take someone like me?

I noticed a closed wooden door. If I really wanted an answer, maybe all I had to do was just to open it. I have been hearing those muffled sounds from outside the room. It's not clear enough to catch, but there are... people.

Once again, I tried to stand and walk out of the room. I remembered being more careful because of the sudden pain before. Walking out of this room shouldn't be so difficult if my sight didn't fall into a mirror. The most noticeable thing I saw was how thrashed I was. Broken forearm in a cast and a big patch covering my right abdomen when I raised this t-shirt. However, my gaze wouldn't leave those horns. All my life, these horns became living proof of how miserable I was.

If by chance I opened this door and there was nothing to change, then I would choose to lock this door instead. What if they cast me out after I recover? What if they save me just to exploit me? Those muffled voices outside became clearer as I rested my head on the wooden door, my right hand held the handle, ready to open the door anytime, but I let time do its thing. I closed my eyes and stood there listening to their voices. It was a cheerful conversation. Many times, those people burst into laughter that I hope I can join them as fast as possible.

It wasn't long until I realized that their voices were gone. Did they say farewell? Did they leave the house? Was there no one outside this room? Feeling like I was out of time, I quickly opened the door. As I expected, there were no 'people' anymore, but... there is a 'person', a young girl who was currently staring at me from the first floor. I didn't know what to say when we made eye contact. Should I say a simple 'hello'? Or should I say 'sorry'? Another choice, not recommended, but plausible to make, was to get into the room and close the door.

"You're up" the girl said, stopping me from everything I tried to do.

"Y-yes" I timidly said, I did believe it's the right behavior to do as well.

She didn't say anything else, just walked toward me and grabbed my hand. She guided me to the stairs, "watch your step". With every step down I made, an uncomfortable feeling came from my wound, but I tried making it unnoticeable.

The first thing I did as I reached the first floor was to stare at the interiors. It gave me a fuzzy feeling, unfamiliar yet enjoyable.

"Sit here" and I just nodded.

She reached out her hand, touching my forehead. I tensed up the moment her cold hand touched my skin. "Your fever has subsided, good. Any complication you feel?"

I shook my head.

She clasped my hand together, "My name is Hanni" and she added the sweetest smile I had ever seen.

"H-honey? That sounds... sweet" I replied, couldn't contain my excitement by the fact that I got to know another person other than my bullies.

"I'm not sure about your understanding, but it's H-a-n-n-i, the one and only chef in the house" she claimed as she walked away. "Wait a little bit, okay? Lunch is almost ready."

Oh

"I'm Y/n..."

I didn't add anything anymore, I almost made a fool of myself. What if I made her mad? I should just stay quiet. It seemed like this Hanni person wasn't good at starting a conversation as well, so I spent the time waiting by looking at her cooking. Not long after that, the scent started making me go crazy. I must have passed out for days that I felt this constant hunger ever since I woke up.

Once again, she came and guided me to the dining room. A plate of steak was placed in front of me. It must be expensive to buy the materials, can they spend it for me?

I became more reluctant, the only thing I could say was, "Thank you for saving me!"

Feeling it was not enough, "I will do anything you ask me to! I can do chores! You can ask me to run some errands too. Please make me useful" I added.

Was it gratefulness? Or maybe I just didn't want to leave this place...

However, all I received was a chuckle. "Sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not the one who saved you. You can probably see her later at night. I'm only a chef... who they saved as well" she said the last sentence with a lower volume, but enough for me to hear.

"Knowing them, they would definitely let you stay here. Don't worry too much about it and enjoy your steak."

-

The steak was good, I didn't even remember when the last time I had a satisfying meal. Thanks to Hanni, my abdomen didn't hurt anymore. She changed my bandage as well. We decided to roam around the house and that's when I understood that this house was located in the middle of the forest.

"So... I heard conversations this afternoon. Besides you, who else lives here?" I started the conversation first this time.

"There are 5 people, including me who live here. The owner of this house is a noble lady called Grace Lee, but never call her that, just call her Hyein. She has a companion called Minji. She's like Hyein's bodyguard. These two are the ones who bring you here."

I made sure to take note of that statement.

"Then there's Haerin, she is Hyein's childhood friend. Meanwhile, Danielle is Haerin's best friend. Lastly, there's me, the chef of the house" she brightly introduced herself. I still didn't know who is who based on her explanation, but I would make sure to properly say thank you to this Minji and Hyein.

"Are they busy during the day?"

"Hmm... not really. Hyein almost goes out every day. Therefore, Minji must accompany her. Haerin and Danielle normally spend their time home, but today they follow Hyein because she promised to buy them things."

"I see," I said as I nodded, "Thank you for introducing them one by one. It's fun to talk with you!". I wasn't scared to express my feelings anymore.

"I-is that so??" she nervously smiled at me.

We might not be as awkward as the first conversation we had this afternoon. Would it be okay for me to ask something random? She might not know about it though... I mean, just because they lived in the forest didn't mean they would know everything.

I gathered my courage and let the words out, "Hanni, do you know anything about a girl from the fore-"

I didn't get to finish my sentence when someone's voice interrupted me.

"NAUR WAY"