07

A/n: Sorry that there was no new chapter for a long time 😢

___

"There's also a third option, the most likely of all." She turned completely around and looked at you without smiling. "The mermaid helped you back to shore, and she left her body to join yours. Strengthening your body to survive. Living in you to save herself from the hunts. To not be caught and to be safe where nothing can kill or catch her. Because on the same day that this devil attack happened, we found a mermaid and several squads tried to capture her. She lived all these years inside you, hidden from the world, leaving you completely human. But it's still in your body, so Beam can sense it."

"That's the only sensible solution."

You looked at her with wide eyes.

It doesn't make sense... You didn't see anything in you... Nothing lives in you... It doesn't make sense really... As much as you want to agree with the woman, you can't because you don't know what it's about. No devil lives inside of you. Without exaggeration. It can't be possible...

"I'm sorry but-" You started to speak but she cut you off.

"You don't know what I'm talking about, do you? I know you feel confused right now. But you don't have to say it's different from what I'm saying." She said calmly sitting in her chair, resting her elbows on the desk. Looking at you with penetrating eyes. "What I'm saying is the only likely event that could have happened."

"But..."

"I'm sorry to say this, but if it hadn't happened, the little kid would never have survived on its own. You would have been dead long ago."

Looking at her, you hoped that the truth would be found in front of your eyes.

You don't want to think that there's something living inside of you that isn't a human being. You don't want to think about it. You don't even want to know about it. You didn't want to hear about it.

You would know if there was something else inside of you.

You would see if your body was shared by two people.

Every time you look in the mirror, you don't see a different reflection. You only see you in the mirror. Your face. Your body. You don't see any devil.

It can't be possible that there's something else in you...

This can not be true...

She can lie, right?

She's not you... She doesn't know you any more than you know you...
She can't know anything about you and your life...

It would be illogical if she knew a lot more than you do. Even if she is older than you, it is impossible for her to know you better. You just met her. She just met you...

Even if you were little when you first met her, it doesn't make sense... It doesn't make sense that she would know any more. Then she was just talking to you. Same as now.

You clenched your hands in your lap as you watched your knuckles turn white.

You didn't want to look at this woman.

When you look at her, you feel like you're under pressure. Like you're about to admit everything, even though you don't even know what it is. It's as if this pressure is forcing you to agree to it no matter what the conditions, and whether it's true or not.

You've never felt anything like this...

You didn't feel safe at all right now...

You wanted to go home... To forget what happened here...

You even missed the boredom of sitting on the couch and watching movies and series pass by on the TV screen. Even that would be better than looking around right now as you sit in front of a woman telling you something that might turn out to be true...

Even though in your mind it was unacceptable...

Devil? In you? Impossible...

Your mind's only defense was to tell your reason that she was lying. That she's wrong. That such a thing is just a made-up fairy tale.

You could believe in a boy who is the devil. Could you believe that the boy is like a shark...

Because you saw it with your own eyes...

But you couldn't believe that you're not human...

Or at least you could have asked if she considered you one...

"Who do you think I am...?" You murmured softly. You didn't know if you were expecting an answer or not. You just asked a question in the dark, like a question that no one can answer, but someone can give you an answer to it.

"... I'm guessing what you mean. I think you are a lost human. You obey what I say. Did you accept what I said?" She smiled slightly. "There are a few things to check. So take it easy and don't panic too much. Nothing is confirmed. First, we will conduct the necessary research and observations. And then more things will happen. And they depend only on the results of these studies."

"...What are you going to do to me?"

"Just a little research."

You moved away from her a bit.

You cannot accept your fate so easily. You can't succumb to her words so easily. There must be some explanation for your survival... There had to be some human, normal explanation. No devils involved.

"What if what you say is true?" You asked quietly.

"We'll try to get it out of you, or make it harmless."

"That means to me..."

"Depending on whether you're the devil or not, you'll stay at headquarters. As a devil, you would have to be under constant surveillance. We will find an explanation. At worst, the mermaid can come out of you, killing you in the process."

Your eyes widened as she felt a sudden burning sensation in her throat.

Can you die from it? But why? You've been living like this for 10 years... So why isn't your life over even after all this time??

Why don't you see anything strange about you? You're not the devil... You're just a normal human... You are neither special nor famous. You are an ordinary gray man in this world.

And they start treating you as something unique? As something that is not human at all?

You've never taken anything's life... You're not heartless... You're not cruel... You are an ordinary person who would like to live a peaceful and pleasant life, without unnecessary problems.

Unfortunately, you've now gotten yourself into a problem that you can't get out of so easily.

There is an answer to everything. There is a solution for everything...

Your mind is increasingly accepting that all of this is true... If you really have the devil in you...

"If you don't get angry, we'll take you to a room where you'll spend some time." She said pleasantly.

You looked at her questioningly.

Into the room? You're thinking of going home.

"But I–"

Before you could finish, she already knew you were going to talk about you coming home. That's why she warned you.

"We can't let you out of here just yet."

"huh?"

"You're not coming home."