09

"Please... Don't cry, miss..."

You widened your eyes as you looked in front of you. The sad face sticking out of the floor.

You couldn't see the eyes, but you had a feeling that if they were, their appearance would be extremely sad.

You saw spiky black hair literally sticking out of the floor. His head popped up from under everything, literally as if it were a ghost.

However, it wasn't a ghost. It was a real person. Someone who was before you.

With a sad face when he saw your tears.

Well, when he first saw you, something inside him told him to take you. Rescue you from the water, and take with him.

He did.

He didn't know why, he was drawn to the mermaid devil.

Or maybe it wasn't the devil, but he was drawn to you?

As a humanoid devil, he felt what humans felt. Besides the other traits he felt as a devil.

He knew that in people there is such a thing as "love for another person." But as a devil, he didn't think he'd survive something as human as this. It's something people can have. And devils have no feelings.

Most often, devils are mean, they do not have nice feelings. They want to hurt.

But he is someone who does not know life well. Compared to other devils, he is innocent. Even though he only knows how to kill and devour anything that stands in his way. Well, he listens to people he respects.

Strength matters to him.

But what he felt from you was something he couldn't say.

He just felt the energy of the water devil. Which is what he's always been.

He felt like a little puppy who feels that he will be fine with such a lady.

He didn't want to go anywhere far from you.

He wanted to protect you. Even if he didn't know you. He felt you were the one meant to protect him.

So from a puppy who can hug and comfort you, he can become a guard dog. Or rather, a shark.
Everything for your safety. So that nothing happens to you.

Even if you didn't tell him your name. He felt he knew you. He respected you not because of your strength. Or rather, lack of strength...

Even if he didn't see or hear that you had any power (because you might not even have it), he wanted to be with you. To protect you and make sure nothing bad happens to you.

But when he saw your tears on your cheeks, he felt a little guilty.

If he hadn't sensed it, if he hadn't said it, you wouldn't be sitting here right now.

But unfortunately, his supervisor has something that can make him do anything.

At any moment, he could die at her hands.

And now that you felt like a kindred spirit, he didn't want to die.

He could give his life for you. But he didn't want to die for nothing. Protecting you, he may die. If you want to kill him, sure, you can.

From the very first meeting, he promised himself that he would give his life to you. Absolutely.

You can tell him anything at any time. And he will give you his life. Right away.

Your horror was evident on your face as you looked at his head.

And then he moved further off the floor, sitting cross-legged in front of you.

Keeping your distance so it's easier for you to listen to what he's saying.

You had a right to be afraid of it. And he knew that you were afraid of him.

He believed you were not the devil.

Because you are not it.

Because there is only the devil in you.

The devil without a body persists in your body.

But you yourself within yourself are nothing other than human.

And if his superiors had asked him what he thought, he would have said so.

However, he only listens to those stronger than him. Makima didn't tell him to say what he knows. So he didn't answer. Because if he did something she didn't like, it could be bad for him.

As he moved his hand towards you, you wanted to push away horror in your eyes.

You still couldn't calm down because the devil is sitting so close to you.

Even if in a more human form, he's still a devil.

Even if his expression didn't show that he was facing you hostilely. His body position showed the same.

He was sitting there, laid back, like a young man whose body he had.

He was literally showing you open cards.

And his both, calmly placed and open hands showed that there is nothing in his intentions that you don't want.

He won't take a knife out of his pants.

Besides, he's only wearing short pants...

"...Miss... Please don't cry..." he said sadly, looking (you think) at you. His mouth was twisted in a sad grimace. His shoulders dropped..

Well, he sincerely hoped you'd get back to him. You will answer him in some way.

But you didn't answer.

You just shivered as you looked at him. You were still terrified of the fact that there was a shark fin on his head.

And even if his behavior is really nice, you don't know what he can do.

You saw him get up, walk over to the bed and rip off the covers, sending the pillow flying.

He didn't care and came over to you again and pulled the covers over your lap.

You widened your eyes looking at him.

Did he just cover you with a duvet so you wouldn't be cold?

Even if you didn't feel the cold of the room, your body was frozen from the water you'd fallen into earlier. That's why you took it.

Preoccupied with the warmth that enveloped you, you didn't see when he crouched down next to you.

You moved away from him a bit. Although he was at least more trustworthy than the rest of the people here.

Or is it because devils are the most sincere beings in the world?

They will be mean and brutal. But this is their sincere behavior.

And you felt that this boy genuinely cared about you.

Even though he doesn't really know what to do, he wanted to take care of you.

After all, it was he who came here, telling you not to cry. He didn't do anything you didn't allow. Because when he extended his hand to you, you pulled away. And he still hasn't touched you. Because you didn't want it.

Even if he was the most trustworthy, even though he was the devil.

"Miss, do you need anything?" he asked with a slight smile.

Your tears have stopped flowing.

Thanks to that little bit of kindness you got in this place.

The devil who is more human than humans.

He was someone who wanted to comfort you. His face looked so innocent and nice with that smile.

"Thank you..." you whispered, grabbing the quilt over your legs, pulling it higher.

You saw his smile grow. And on the cheeks appeared light plans of rouge.

Suddenly he sat next to you against the wall. Still with the same smile.

His smile was so human and comforting.

"I'm Beam! I'm at your service, miss."