Chapter Three: Engagement

Prince POV

I nervously nibble on the tips of my fingers and my face is pulled in a hard scowl while waiting outside my father’s throne room.  I hear his booming voice screaming at the patrol guards through the massive royal blue, trimmed with silver, double doors. Scolding them for carelessly allowing a pirate ship to get through into our main food supply. My father somehow found out about the pirate ship at the cove and he is furious for us not informing him. Especially furious at me for involving my youngest sister. I would have never have gotten her involved if I had known it was the Black Diamond crew. I scold myself for ever thinking I could handle a ship like that by myself... but I did. Although, it almost went terribly wrong. The captain had a tiny cannon in his hand. Sounded like a crack of thunder whenever he used it and had the ability to break rock. It’s stunning to see such dimwitted humans come up with something so deadly. Maybe if we can get our hands on the device we can create something like it. 

The crew had a human girl on board. She seemed to be apart of the crew and was well respected by the rest of the men. It is such an odd thing to see a young girl to be on the ship so casually. Her features were striking similar to the young captain. Shining golden eyes and flowing black hair that reached to the middle of her back. Her failed efforts to convince the man that we were not there. She seems as if she doesn’t believe in our kind. 

My thoughts suddenly flicker off to Radiance; a common occurrence since I’ve seen her. My scowl lightened at the image of her gorgeous face. I have not seen her since she helped us pull the ship away but she has not left my mind once. Her emerald eyes are forever imprinted into my mind. Her stunning, waist length, red hair and high cheek bones never leave my dreams. I dream of pulling her close and running my hands all over her petite body. Kissing her plump, pink lips every moment of the day. Thinking about having her to be completely mine forever makes my heart flip. Beauty like that must be loved, protected, and always taken care of. I can’t be in love with her already but I can be. I want to be. I will make it so. 

“Oh brotherrr!” the singing voice of Aurora echoes down the corridor. Interrupting my thoughts of Radiance. I turn around and am surprised to see her with our oldest sister Opal. I am shocked to see Opal’s usually long white hair cut short to her to her ears and her pale skin is deeply tanned. Showing signs she was on the surface. Her pure white tail is decorated with blue swirls which is a symbol of her mate’s tail colors. She looks stunning with her hair short. Having short hair is uncommon in our kingdom. Her grey eyes are narrow and although Opal does not look pleased, she pulls me into a hug. I groan internally, knowing that she knows what happened the other day. 

“Sister! How was your trip?” I greet her, trying to cover up my nervousness. 

“What did I hear from the guards again?” she pretends to think, “Oh yeah! That YOU ran into the Black Diamond crew and tried to take care of it by yourself? I’m not gone for more than three days and you have gotten yourself into trouble already.” she scolds.

“Hey! I had no word that it was the Black Diamonds.” I defended but I already knew I lost this battle. No one can ever win an argument against Opal. She’s annoyingly always right.

“I can never leave you alone. We need you to be alive!” she says. “You are to be the next king!”

I sigh in immediate defeat. “I know.”

“AND what’s worse! You took Princess Aurora with you!” her high pitched voice raising. 

Aurora pouts and says back, “I’m the best singer in this family. I could defend myself!”

Opal gives her a pointed look and Aurora turns quiet. “You have no experience. You may have talent but talent will get you nowhere! And-” Opal stops and looks up to the throne room.