3. the first day

Neteyam and i didn't have a really big conversation yesterday night.

But still y/n was up ALL night to think if she really caught feelings for Neteyam, and in that whole night she got up two conclusions.
-you can't fall in love in one eye contact moment, i am just shy.
-i am for real catching feelings.

Y/n thought of asking her dad, maybe it would helps, but he almost always tells her mother somehow. Because there need "to be no secret in the family".

And she could definitely not tell kiri, atleast, she would be disgusted of y/n, she thought.

Maybe she could better let Neteyam go, just for her own good.

She just atleast decided to hang out with kiri again for a bit.
Kiri and y/n got alot in common the moment they started talking.
But today they just decided to clear their heads and let the clear waves hit their skin. Kiri absolutely loved to meditate, just like y/n.

As i was sitting in the water with just the water up to my waist i waited, and waited, and waited, and waited.

"Y/n i am here!! Sorry i was so late!!" I heard someone day in the distance, kiri came running to me in panic i would be mad.
"Calm calm, what happened?" I asked.
"I am so sorry, i had to take care of tuk in all of the sudden.." she answered.
Tuk? I stared at her with a confused face, because who the eywa is tuk?
"Ohh yeah sorry i didn't tell you, tuk is my little sister, the youngest!" Kiri said.

We didn't talk much until be decided to do a race who could hold their breath longer, and under water i would learn her sign language.

I was really REALLY impressed for how long she could hold her breath, it's just something about her that not normal... But yeah everyone always says that to the black sheep.

We looked at a little hole in the sand
Until we say.... Shadows?
I totally remember by even the hair of the shadow, rotxo..

We both heard talking above water, suddenly kiri stood up.

"I WIN!!" i shouted as loud as i could while jumped 10 meters in the air.

4 people were looking me with blank stares.

"Congratulations" rotxo says in a annoying voice, like i hurt him or something.

Again i felt that weird being watched feeling, it was definitely not because i just did the most embarrassing thing i would do in my whole life. It was like yesterday.

"Are you some freak?" Auonung asked to kiri. "Auonung you better shut up." I would say, but i didn't. I would do anything to come up for myself but sometimes in these situations i just can't.

Was is because of that feeling?

"He asked if you were so freak" rotxo had to say after him. "Asshole" i whispered really quietly to myself,

"HEY! back off fishlips" i hear a boy say who was walking up to auonung. It was that little brother of neteyam..

As my brothers were calling that boy all sort of weird names, kiri asked several times them to leave us alone. Sometimes i wish i had a sister and not a sister and brothers who are annoying or show stealing. Eywa i hated my brothers, as a young girl i've always got grossed out by being the clan leaders with my oldest brother. I just watched "lo'ak" kinda fight them when out of all of the sudden a taller boy came running out the water behind me and asked my brother to leave them alone.

"Neteyam?" I quietly said to myself,
"Back off, now." He said in a very very VERY serious voice, it kinda scared me.

"It's your choice, from now on you need to respect my sister."
My brothers were as quiet as the wind on a quiet day.

Neteyam made eye contact with me after he said that. that made my oldest brother, auonung suspicious of neteyam.

BUT of coarse his friend had to say bye to them in the most annoying, irritating, i wanne punch you in the face voice.
"Look, all freaks, the whole family" auonung said, "shut your mouth" i said to him. But they kinda just ignored me, for the one time i come up, they will of coarse ignore me.

Then lo'ak walked back up to auonung and said something and did something with his hands, which i totally didn't understand. And all of the sudden he punched auonung in face.

And whithin a heartbeat they all were fighting, including neteyam. Of coarse not kiri, we both were just watching them being so so so so stupid.

But after a few minutes my dad, tonowari saw them. And neteyam, lo'ak and kiri were send back to their tent with their dad. I knew their would not fly for a month, after they walked away my brother helped eachother getting up.

"You are stupid." I said while wanting to walk away, and suddenly i got grabbed as hard as a rock by my arm, "you have something with him" auonung said while holding me.
"i don't! We are friends!" i answered.
"I will tell dad, you better not have anything more with those freaks." He said.

I had to take a second to progress that, i know that dad will do nothing except telling mom, and if mom knows, she would absolutely kill me for having a relationship with someone outside the reef.

I wouldn't dare, never..

As i sat in the ocean with only my head above the water, mediteding the stress away. I wonder if Neteyam will even be allowed to go in sea now, and i only know how his mother is with me, what if his father is basically like my mother?

"Is it forbidden to love someone outside the reef?"

Wait, did my head just say love, no, no no no no no.

As soon a said that to myself i stood up in confusion. I can't be.
It's only been 1 day and i can't be in love with him, that's just impossible.
We are just good friends, good friends.
A good friend who i care about.