Chapter 19 - Silvia (Part 1)

The man they'd brought in with the medium to Neil's territory could melt steel with his constant heated stares. If anyone moved, he followed them with his eyes, and if anyone came too close, he put himself between them and the medium like he had any capability to protect her. While he was prettier than a model, with his sculpted face, bright hazel eyes, and flipped-over gelled hair, he was dumb as a brick if he thought a regular human could so anything to a vampire. Silvia could tell he went to the gym regularly, but it was more to look nice than functionally protect anyone. Matt, as he'd named himself, screamed PR face and not much else.

Reporters.

This medium named Tara was one, if Ezra was to be believed. They'd dug into a bit of her past and she'd been blacklisted by the Levisca complex before all this because they'd labeled her a fanatic. Apparently she'd come around making demands and freaking out as one of them put it. Ezra hadn't talked much to Tara prior to Fiorello showing up, nor was he much for words now, crumpled in the corner at Luna Aurion's house. The complex was gone, as was Fiorello thanks to Vincent.

Silvia wasn't even touching that one right now. There was too much going on to factor in Neil's dead father. They needed to seal the rift and get rid of Dev Zehir. Vincent was stuck at the hole in the void with Falz Aurion, another dead guy who was helping them. Damien had cliff notes'd it for her, but she still hadn't processed it all. The first thing on her mind had been saving the medium.

It had taken a few mages to heal the girl, and Tara was lucky to be alive. Forest had been the one to try and patch her up since Silvia was lacking in that knowledge set, but his magic slipped out of her like water in a colander. For some reason the medium's body rejected even healing magic, and Silvia'd been worried they might lose her until Kopje Cinder had offered to try.

Infiltrator class mages had different magic, the major factor being its inability to take solid form. It was lighter, more powerful, and Kopje managed to sew the girl's leg back together but not as well as he would have healed a mage. Tara still needed to physically recover the old-fashioned way, which meant bedrest, bandages, and nothing strenuous until her body was strong again.

All they needed was her to walk to her death through a door to the world of the dead anyway.

Silvia thumped her head on the small table she was sitting at outside Tara's room. They'd closed the two humans off from the rest of the castle when Matt wouldn't stop snapping at passersby. The girl had woken up nearly an hour ago, but neither of them had left the room. Matt had detailed how they, being the vampires, wanted to brutally murder Tara. Thank you Falz for graphically detailing human dismemberment in the void. They'd been silent since Tara had told the guy to shut up, and Silvia had told Neil to get some rest once she didn't need him to eavesdrop anymore.

Silvia eventually gave up waiting, pushing her chair out, standing, and straightening her white mage attire. For a moment, her fingers lingered on the embroidered leaves and vines. It might be better to change into human clothes before she talked to Tara, but Silvia got the idea that clothes wouldn't matter with the circumstances anyway. So she held up a hand to Ares where he lingered down the hallway to keep him from flanking her and went into the room.