Chapter 26 - Tara

(Thanks for all your patience! I've gotten a ton of the next few chapters typed, and I'm working through final edits! I also lied

(Thanks for all your patience! I've gotten a ton of the next few chapters typed, and I'm working through final edits! I also lied. This book has like 7-8 chapters left ((not 3 >__<) Happy Reading!)

"How did you manage that in the day we let you alone?" Neil asked, eyeing the bite marks on either side of her throat with his creepy red eyes as an annoyed growl rumbled the words. The man was dressed to the nines in one of his fancy black suits, embroidered with a gust of wind that collided with a branch of exploding leaves on the other half. Even with his silver hair tied up, it fell to his lower back. "Just say it wasn't one of mine. They should not have touched you."

Silvia elbowed him in the side so hard that he whined and held his ribs. She was dressed just as fancy, in white mage attire sprinkled with vines, and Tara wondered if they weren't just going to have a party as they sent her to her death. Maybe brings some champagne to crack over the void's opening before it sailed away into nothingness.

Now she was being petty.

"You know how close she and Jesse are," Silvia responded to Neil so Tara didn't have to. Can't you just make normal assumptions instead of pestering her?"

"Jesse? Why would he weaken her when he knows what she faces today?" Neil asked a completely reasonable question, and Tara shoved her eyes into the tile of their transportation room. Surrounded by an octagonal array of white walls over a transportation spell carved in stone, there was nowhere to go as the Silence pervaded. "You didn't tell him."

"No, Neil. I didn't," Silvia said, casting the spell at their feet to take them out of the vampire territory. Night had fallen so it was dark when they arrived, and they slinked out of temporary mage complex in Levisca to head to the tear. "Jesse needs his rest, and I'm still hoping for a miracle here."

"That makes one of us," Tara said more to herself, gazing at each street lamp they passed. The sun burned on the horizon beyond the buildings, still allowing just a simmer of light into the streets, but it would fade in minutes. It was the last light she'd see before the other side swallowed her and she soaked in what she could as she walked. Perhaps they sensed her depression or just empathized with her situation, but both Neil Arc and Silvia flanked her as they ventured deeper into Levisca.

It had only been a little over a week since she'd last been here, but it felt like years. Everything had been so small then. Work had taken up all of her time, and her biggest worries had been figuring out what the creepy crawlies called vampires were and whether or not she'd go to jail for killing Matt eventually. By the time they reached the broken cobblestone and marble from what used to be the decorative dais of the mage complex, Tara's arms were trembling.

Memories flooded into her mind and her leg ached sympathetically as she thought about Dev. The man wasn't going to forget about them according to Tanya who was floating behind her in the air. Apparently, the closer Tara got to Jesse and the more of her he consumed the looser Tanya's leash became to follow what Jesse perceived as a mate. Tara didn't pretend to know the ins and outs of ghosts, but so far, Tanya had been protective of her even if she was grueling to be around.