Chapter 14: Vincent (Part 1)

Ever since Nicholas had been by to tell Neil of the dangers to Phoenix, Vincent hadn't left the boy's side, watching him much more than he should with how attached Phoenix had become

Ever since Nicholas had been by to tell Neil of the dangers to Phoenix, Vincent hadn't left the boy's side, watching him much more than he should with how attached Phoenix had become. As one of the dead, Vincent hadn't planned to spend this much time with his grandson, but Phoenix's safety was more important than anything else. Whenever Neil was afraid to leave his grandson, Phoenix would remind him that 'grandpa was there', and the relief it gave Neil perplexed Vincent still.

Why did his son find his presence reassuring at all? Vincent had expected fear, anger, or resentment once Neil had shaken off the initial shock. Instead, Neil seemed calm as he went about his days, as calm as he could be before he'd learned of the danger to his children. Now even with the stress, when Neil spent time with Phoenix, he'd often look to the empty air behind him with that same smile or say things to him even though he couldn't see him.

Vincent had thought his son hated him so much that he'd have been disgusted to wake up anywhere near him, so Vincent had left his son to his grandson after reading the little glutton his stories. Phoenix hadn't liked his departure, and Vincent had worried about him until he'd tucked himself away in Neil's arms. It was essential that Phoenix leaned on his father, so Vincent didn't want to fill that position of a guardian to Phoenix, but Fiorello de Fleur and Dev Zehir were giving him little choice.

Juliana had been right. He should have kept himself distant from the children once he realized they could see him. Something selfish had driven him to Phoenix, perhaps a desire to be a parent to Neil where he'd failed before.

"Neil, we can't leave," Damien said as they prepared to depart in one of the back rooms. Doing so in plain sight was a bad idea.

That damnable mage, Darc Aurion, had literally been the death of him, even if he agreed with the man. Seeing Damien in those mage clothes even after his change made Vincent want to strangle the man. Darc had always favored an oriental fashion that dragged fabric down between his legs but cut up the hips, leaving his arms and legs free for mobility but flaunting his damn Aurion pride all over himself with the black and greys of his house. The man even had the high collar that closely hugged his neck to keep it covered from vampire attention.

"Damien, the Copses have several solid reports that vampires are slipping in on the borders," Neil countered, tugging on his Arc suit as he settled into it. They were a vision in black together, but Neil's breast was adorned with wisps on wind in silver and white embroidery. "They aren't all immune to allure, and they requested help. I can't leave them to death or capture for selfish reasons. They are as much my blood as my people. They are Silvia's family."

"Then at least leave me," Damien insisted. Of the men here, Damien was the strongest vampire the Arcs had for protecting Phoenix, but Ares was a close second. The issue with Ares was that his magic needed a pair to flourish, but it was moot to mention. There were many who would fight alongside Ares if need be.