Chapter 21.5 - Asmodeus

Days passed, almost a full week went by, and Dev Zehir still hadn't shown up

Days passed, almost a full week went by, and Dev Zehir still hadn't shown up. Lorenzo expected the man back since he was the only remaining councilman alive that they knew of, but Lorenzo also expressed his displeasure regarding his eventual return. They had only allowed him in the first place because Fiorello had brought him with, but with Fiorello gone and the Fleurs ousted from the Alliance, they were in an awkward spot. Asmodeus didn't have to worry about it as much as Lorenzo, but he did anyway. Anything concerning the Fleur house or Lorenzo took utmost importance in his soul.

The gardens under the stars were a comfort to him, and he reclined against a tree with Heather sleeping against his arm. She was decent, dressed in her fleur attendant attire and wrapped in a small blanket to keep off the night's chill. After the initial incident with her, Asmodeus had insisted upon returning to Lorenzo's house rules. It was mostly out of concern for her, since he hadn't been in the right mental state before. It would take time for him to calm after being a prisoner, and he preferred no one but himself suffer any ill consequences of that time. Just sitting next to Heather was enough for him anyway, the calm heartbeat and steady breathing thrumming in his ears and the gentle warmth pressed to his body.

It was something Ghost had never experienced, such closeness to another. The more time Ghost spent within Asmodeus' mind, the more he realized he had spent little time out of the Sol deserts. Stone and he had seen places, infiltrated and executed as their master had commanded, but they had never been part of a larger family. They had spent their lives invisible in Talamayas' shadow.

Day in and out, people came up to Asmodeus, some with condolences for his treatment or the loss of his grandsire, but others to play games of sport, for assistance with innumerous tasks, and others to merely lie in his arms. It was not just Heather who sought him out either. Many past or current lovers came to him for nothing more than company. Asmodeus loved so easily, and he was adored by others.

Parts of it, Ghost hated. The naivety and easy trust that Asmodeus gave out readily were hazardous to any vampire living past a century, and definitely a danger to his master if he was not prudent. But Asmodeus was also sharp-witted, sensible, and relaxed. Within his own people, Asmodeus felt safe and happy. Ghost couldn't say the last time he'd relaxed, but reclining in the gardens under the stars with a companion was not something Ghost could say he hated.

After his mistreatment under the slave masters, Ghost had never once considered romantic relations with anything. Asmodeus thrived on them, the physical closeness and elevation from sharing the bed with another and the comfort of walking elbow to elbow during menial daily tasks. Ghost was unsure if he wanted such things or if Asmodeus mind was affecting him. Rationally, a mate would take him mind off his master, and he didn't want that. Ghost loved being by Talamayas' side, or he had when Stone was around.

Light magic announced Lorenzo's arrival before he strode into the gardens, and Asmodeus slid out from under Heather before gently depositing her head into the grasses. His master gestured with his head to the upper observatory, and Asmodeus followed him up the hills. The stars grew so much closer with the steep climb, and they sat together inside the observatory. The roof opened up to the sky, so it was the same cool temperature as outside, but the walls blocked sound from the human attendants without. While Lorenzo trusted his own, he also spoke in confidence on vampire affairs just to be safe.

Lorenzo propped his feet up on a desk to his left with his arms crossed over his chest, and Asmodeus knew he wanted to speak of something serious. It wasn't uncommon for them to share space, but the air shifted a bit cooler when Lorenzo was stressing. With all the happenings, Lorenzo had taken the time each day of the last week to spend time alone with him. They'd always been close, but Lorenzo seemed a bit clingier since he'd gotten him back, as if he might lose him if he was in another room for too long.

"The Arcs wish to treat with us," Lorenzo said, and Asmodeus eyebrows jumped in surprise. What in the world could they want after they'd tried to steal their children? "It's some request for a dialogue regarding recent events. It's fishy to say the least." Lorenzo angled his eyes upward to the skies and the chair under him creaked from the shifting weight. "After I tried to take his children, Neil should want to gut me not speak with me. They did send you back though, and I thought he'd keep you for leverage. What do you think of it?"

Asmodeus opened his mouth and Ghost took over. The overly protective and savvy battle tactician knew something was up after spending time with the Arcs, and he'd been just about to tell Lorenzo it was an obvious trap. Ghost needed Lorenzo to go for this or getting Jesse Zehir out would be far too difficult.

"I would assume something is amiss, but we needn't push them out entirely. If we meet them on the northern borders, at the juncture between the cliffs and the mountainsides, we will have the advantage. We can station men in the high grounds, remain beyond our magic jamming shield, and speak with them over the border. If they have something to say, they can do so on our terms."

Lorenzo considered him, and tilted his head back and forth in a sideway swaying motion. It was consideration for his plan, which was better than turning it down, but not agreement just yet. Ghost would have to push him further.

"If this is about Fiorello, I doubt Neil and Silvia were complicit in Vincent's actions. It's the children who pull the specters through, as witnessed at Levisca." Ghost tried but Lorenzo was still leaning away from it, so he'd have to poke the last wound Lorenzo had yet to heal. "Cutting off ties should be a last resort until we know what the Arcs are thinking. While you and Neil have never gotten along, this interaction feels like more of something Silvia might do. At the least, you should hear her out."

Ghost had to lie on that last one. Silvia was a mother, an infiltrator class mage, and a powerful house head to the Arcs. At this current moment, she'd jump at the chance to cut Lorenzo's knees out and strangle him with vines for what he'd attempted. Nothing meant more to the woman than her children and her mate, but Lorenzo was soft when it came to her.

"Very well." Lorenzo conceded. "It will take preparations, but we will meet a few hours before sunrise, when they will be the most tired. Our family flourishes in the day to go about diplomatic relationships with the humans, and I've seen how Silvia and Neil have been struggling with their varying schedules. If they have something to say, they can do so at the hour where their wits are the weakest."

"Whatever their plan is, whether it be for peace or some ruse, we'll come out on top, Lorenzo. I'm sure of it. Without our support, the Arcs wouldn't even be a house still." The last was a blatant lie, but Lorenzo smiled like the weak fool he was and relaxed to look out into the stars.

If the Fleurs had not supported them in the scuffle between the vampire houses, Talamayas would have slaughtered them aside their enemies. On the battlefield, even with the number disadvantage, Talamayas would always prevail. These weak tacticians could come up with any strategy they desired, but they would all burn under his master's indomitable power.

Just as they would at this meeting.

Everything was set and Ghost was holding all the pieces.

Word Count: 1361