Chapter 10: Tara (Part 1)

"Our ratings have sky rocketed," Matt said excitedly as Tara chewed on the straw to her bubble tea

"Our ratings have sky rocketed," Matt said excitedly as Tara chewed on the straw to her bubble tea. The man's green eyes glittered, and she jumped as he slammed a hand on her desk at the office. "Not a lot of other stations had information on the vampire's inner social working and agenda. People asked but only got generic one-liners about peace. That info you got on their profiting from our advancement was some good stuff. It was real and not powdered with that peaceful relations nonsense."

Tara felt a little guilty about profiting from Jesse's private conversation with her, but he'd said the info was public.

"They do want peace," Tara growled at Matt's spin on this.

Yes, Jesse had said they benefited from humans, but he'd also shared that they were genuinely interested in diplomatic relations and coexistence for the sake of peace. All of the stations had gotten that line from one interview or another, but it seemed the rest had been less forthcoming with the vampire council's agenda. She hoped it didn't get Jesse in trouble.

"Sure they do," Matt dropped his smile for his judgment. Even with her report, Matt was not convinced that they were here for anything but a wider pool to feed from.

People had been quaking for months with uncertainty, and after the vampires finally came out publically to discuss just what they were, it wasn't getting much better. The fanatics had emerged so quickly in mass that the rallies swarmed judicial areas who were struggling with whether or not to treat vampires the same as humans for the sake of enforcing human law. Humans were split down the middle on trying to coexist or bolstering their defenses and finding weapons to exploit weaknesses.

A bill had been proposed to track them. It required them to be implanted with some sort of magic tracker by these mages and adhere to a curfew around populated areas, like putting an electric collar on a dog so they couldn't feed around the club. That was so not happening whether the humans agreed to try it or not. As with the fanatics, radicals against their kind had already surfaced too, and Tara was worried Matt was jumping on board with them.

"I'm serious, Matt. Jesse was really kind and friendly with the people who stopped by. I can tell when a guy is trying to con people, and he just seemed earnest," Tara tried again, and Matt let out a disgusted breath.

"Sure. And he was hot as shit. I saw the social media posts with him in them. That man was a predator dressed like a thanksgiving turkey to lure in the hungry. I think you're a little biased, you know, being a woman."

Oh he did not just go there.

"Right, because my sex can't differentiate between good and evil when there is a dick attached," Tara said, knowing that biting her straw in half was not the same as punching Matt but her teeth had yet to agree. "Please don't smile too hard at me, I might just get on my knees and beg you to unzip your pants. I just can't control myself when there is a hot man around. Mount me."