Chapter 15: Tara (Part 1)

Yep, she was toast. Totally dead.

What did this guy mean, Silvia was looking for her too? They'd never met with Tara being pretty much unknown to this world, and she was now following the man further into the complex with nothing more than a, 'come with me.' It was hard to doubt the man when he spoke with such a soft voice and smiled like that. Hell, the man was damn near as pretty as Jesse, with his pitch hair styled on one side so that it fell to chin. It was so sleek and pretty, which showed he took meticulous care of himself, and it didn't take a microscope to see how his muscles sculpted his grey shirt from the front or the back.

Were all vampires just hot?

The only think distracting Tara from whether this man was luring her into a dark corner to drain her with that sexy mouth of his–his soft lips just a gentle shade pinker than the smooth tan of his skin– was the little girl on his shoulder. The child watched Tara and glanced to Tanya who followed with just as much skepticism and caution. When the girl waved, Tanya's scowl flattened and she waved begrudgingly back. It had the girl giggling, and the vampire turned back to look at her.

"You may walk next to me, if you'd prefer," the man said, probably to be kind, but she'd been staying back from him out of self-preservation. It was rude now, so she took the few steps to walk side by side with him. "I'm Ezra."

"Tara... Viewford. Do you belong to one of these fancy vampire houses in the alliance?" It didn't hurt to garner information in small talk, and Ezra smile was damn inviting when he flipped it in her direction. The man didn't seem sinister at all, and that was just more suspicious.

"I do not, I'm afraid. I was a slave when the alliance was fought for and formed and only recently came to this complex with my daughter." Ezra didn't even flinch on the word slave, and Tara crunched her eyebrows lower and looked at the floor.

"You're a slave?" Tara said into the white tiles as they slowly progressed down the white uniform hallway.

"Oh, no, not anymore," Ezra said, his tone dipping to concern when he realized she was worried. The man stopped walking, and so did she to face him. "I was a slave, under a cruel master who was outside of the normal vampire houses. The Aurions, the mages who have recently taken up home here in Levisca, saved me and my people. I can say with pleasure that my people now live in peace away from both vampire and mage society where they can grow in peace and freedom."

"I see," Tara blushed in embarrassment. Part of her was upset at the mages for not protecting Jesse, but she needed to not let it bleed into all of them. Some had to be good people. "Why are you here and not with your people?"

"Well, most of the slaves were human, so I felt they would be better without a vampire among them. Also, Selena's mother is here," Ezra continued to walk, and the girl waved happily when she was referred to. "Luna Aurion is out now on mage business, but she loves Selena just as much as I do. My daughter is my world, and I relish every second I can be near here." Ezra nuzzled his daughter's face, and she hugged his neck.