Chapter Eleven

Johan poured himself a large scotch, knocked it back in one gulp and then poured himself another but he could not stop himself from shaking. He sat down on his bed placed his head in his hands and sighed.

He wished he never laid eyes on Aelia.

He had taken the fall for her and told their Maker told him he had planned it and carried out the act alone. He said it to protect her because he feared he would hurt her and his punishment was banishment. His Maker told him to leave and never contact him again or he would end his vampire life.

For a vampire this is an unbearable sentence, to be cast out by your Maker. His Maker always told them he would never leave them so he felt betrayed but the ultimate betrayal came from her. She did not even look at him as he was forced out of the door, as he pleaded to be forgiven. She never even spoke out in his defence and she never went after him she stayed with their Maker, not that this really surprised him.

Over forty years passed until she contacted him to apologise, the sound of her voice still pulled at his heart strings and he instantly forgave her but his Maker would not let him come back.

What in the hell was he going to do? Winston would never forgive him for what he had done but this time he promised himself he would no longer lie for her, his life was at stake.

He'd left Winston for dead, he'd dragged him further into the fire when he was hurt and just listened to his screams as the barn burnt to the ground. He'd helped to plan his death but Winston had survived and he was now going to have to pay for what he had done.

Johan knew he was no match for Winston, he had fought with him many times before and he always came out a bloody mess. He'd first met Winston at a gala ball in the 1700's, he could not remember the exact year or even why the ball was being held for but he did remember the first time he laid eyes on Aelia.

For him it was love at first sight she was dressed so elegantly. Her hair was immaculate, ringlets cascaded down her back and the ribbons in her hair exactly matched the colour of her petticoat. The sleeves on her dress were narrow, a brand new fashion at that time and she was attracting glares from jealous women around the room as she danced.

She did not even notice, she was smiling but the smile did not reach her eyes. Johan could not take his eyes off her and so he just watched her, held in awe. Once the music had stopped she bowed to her dance partner and retreated to the corner of the room, her partner did not follow her so Johan did.

He held out his hand as he approached her, his heart racing a little, "Can I introduce myself? I am Johan Hennings and you are?"

She curtsied and smiled but before she could answer or take his hand Johan was roughly pushed to the side.

"Married."

A male voice boomed and Johan actually shuddered as chill ran down his spine as he looked into the eyes of the man that had pushed him. They were the same height and build but Johan felt intimidated by his glare, extremely intimidated.

This was the first time he met Winston.

Another man suddenly appeared, the man Aelia had been dancing with earlier. He had a busy beard and rather dark long hair, "now now Winston, let's not cause a scene, people are watching," he said as he placed his hands on Winston's shoulder. "He is frightfully protective of his wife as you can understand."

Johan nodded and he took the man's hand as he extended it, "my name is Michael, Michael Campbell, Mr. Grumpy here is Mr. Winston Harling and may I introduce his beautiful wife Aelia."

This was the first time he met his Maker; Michael.

Aelia walked over to them as Michael said her name and she curtsied in front of Johan. Johan bowed his head in response and he swore he heard Winston snarl as he did it so Johan took hold of her hand and he slowly kissed the back of it, looking at Winston the entire time and then he said "I am Johan Hennings it's a pleasure to be in the company of such a beautiful lady."