v. the threat

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧    ✦  ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"We have only just arrived, why would we want to leave?" Erik looks at his sibling with a smirk.

"You're warriors, you will know that Lunden is impossible to defend, so, let's get this done."

"Is that a threat?" Sigefrid asks.

"Your price." Æthelred commanded.

"It sounds like a threat." Sigefrid says.

"I'm asking you to retreat, lords, for a price, for silver." The brothers glanced at one another.

"Flesh is our price. Your bride, Aethelflæd." Erik taunts hoping to get a reaction, and he does. "She has great beauty and a good mind. I'm in need of a wife."

"I am in need of a hump, we will share." Sigefrid adds making Althea snarl at him. She tried to remove Uhtred's arm from around her but failed.

"She is my wife!"

"Aethelred, they're teasing you. Perhaps, we can begin with a cup of ale, it's a long walk from the river." Uhtred says attempting to gain control of the conversation once again, Erik held up his hands in surrender to Althea.

"A cup of ale it is, lord Uhtred." Sigefrid walks them deeper into their newly gained home and sits on a fur-covered seat with his arms splayed on the back.

"Could you guarantee Ragnar and all the men he commands? Are you with us?" Erik questions.

"I'm here."

"Yes, but are you here for Alfred, yourself, or us?"

"Ragnar's in the north. It would take some time for the news to reach him, and more time for him to decide. I guarantee nothing, lord. Your prisoners are from where?" Uhtred asks looking at the priest that was kneeling in the dirt. Althea hoped Ragnar would cross their path soon, she had so much to tell the Dane.

"They are from Guthrum's ass."

"The Earl Guthrum is called Aethelstan now." The Mercian guard corrected.

"Guthrum is a shit stain, he sends priests to Beamfleot begging for peace. Begging for warriors to settle and do what? Raise sheep?" Sigefrid said bluntly, Althea cracked a smile despite not wanting to.

"Many men do, lord."

"There are no sheep farmers in Valhalla." Sigefrid spoke with smugness.

"Do you intend to put all the priests on the cross?" Uhtred questions and sees Althea watching them curiously.

"It is Sigefrid's game."

"I do not understand how it kills a man." Sigefrid said with a shrug.

"Slowly, lord. It's a cruel death." Finan stepped away from the background and stood next to Althea.