xix. pain

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Althea was shoved into her room and the guards were lucky that they left so soon or the gold vase would have been shattered into their heads. She paced back and forth in panic and her influx of emotions had managed to make things more complicated. She sat on her bed and gasped in pain, when she reached out with shaky hands she felt blood leak down her thighs. She closed her eyes in pin and flinched when the door opened, she tensed at the sight of Edward. She managed to subtly move back on the bed and cover herself up so he wouldn't notice.

He placed a hand on her shoulder and she flinched back violently, she held back a choked sob at the pain that went through her. She had to force the pain back and pretend nothing was wrong.

"I understand you are scared, sister. But this is for your own good." He said softly and she glared at him. "Once your children are born they will be sent to the church, you will be free of your Dane husband." She felt her eyes well up with tears as she shook her head.

"No, please. Edward, please. Do not do this, let me keep my children. Please." She sobbed as she clutched his shirt and he shushed her as he set next to her. She managed to keep the blankets covering her dark blue dress where she no doubt would have shown the crimson color if it were a lighter-colored dress.

"They told me you would say that. I am looking out for you sister." He leaned over and kissed her forehead and moved to leave.

"Who?"

"Mother and my wife, of course." He said with a smile and left. She cried out in pain when another sharp pain went through her body, she refused to birth to them now. She knew the dangers of attempting to force something like this back, women have died to it, but she rather lose her life than her children.

"Sister? I have come to help you." Althea sighed in relief when Aethelflæd entered, her sister's eyes grew panicked at the sight. "You are in labor, let me get some maids." Althea quickly stopped her with a hand on her wrist.

"No! No. No one is to know. He will take them from me." She spoke as she cried into her sister's arms. Aethelflæd froze in confusion but continued to comfort her.

"I need you to help me to Uhtred's departure, Edward wants me there as a family." She practically spat the word out as her sister helped her up. She gripped her stomach in pain and nearly collapsed at the feeling, Aethelflæd helped her to the door and reached out for her hand.

"I will do whatever it is you ask, sister. But if this continues, I will call upon Uhtred's men." Althea smiled at her sister and nodded. "Specifically, Sihtric."

"I would not expect anything else." The two walk to the entrance of the palace and she feels herself grow weak. Aethelflæd subtly wrapped an arm around her waist as Edward sent a guard to stand with Althea.