xxi. battle of bedanford

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

Once things settled down Uhtred looked at the couple sadly, she knew they had a battle to win but she couldn't help but frown. It was a moment she wanted to last forever. To her right, her sister and the brother that mattered most were playing with her sons as the babies giggled and gurgled.

Her husband was holding with such gentleness that you wouldn't expect a Dane to have, her friends Aldhelm and Finan bickering over which son would be the better warrior. Her eldest sons were arguing about who would protect which brother, Hvitserk ended it by saying he would protect all three of them. And Uhtred, the man she had considered a father figure standing back watching it with sad eyes, she knew he still missed his wife and now both of his siblings. It was a peaceful moment for once, the celebration of new life had a way to trigger happiness in those around her.

Uhtred must have felt her gaze and turned back to her with a small smile, she reached out her hand for the Dane and he quickly grasped it. He leaned down to kiss her head as she laid it against his stomach, she hummed softly when Uhtred caressed her hair as Sihtric rubbed her back, her husband watched all four of their sons intensely.

"I'm telling ya, lord. Grimnir is the one destined to be a mighty warrior, I can feel it." Finan spoke with a grin as he nudged Aldhelm's arm.

"Perhaps, but did you not also claim that a whore was in love with you? And it turned out she just wanted your silver?" Aldhelm said with a teasing smile and Finan scoffed in disbelief. The rest laughed at his misfortune and the Irishman crossed his arms as he sulked quietly.

"They will all be great warriors if that is what they achieve to be." Sihtric said with a damn smile as he looked down at his wife.

"Althea, we must go. I wish it were not the case." Uhtred said gently as she frowned and slumped against Sihtric's chest.

"I know, Uhtred. Come back to me, all of you." Althea said with a tone of command. Sihtric pulled her into a sweet kiss as he reluctantly stood, Osferth kissed her forehead as he moved to leave.

"I swear we will return, Al." Aethelflæd answered with a playful grin. Sihtric hesitated as he glanced at his newborn sons and then back to his wife, Aldhelm could see the man was tense and spoke up.

"I will stay with Lady Althea, to protect her and your sons," Aldhelm said with a determined look in his eye, he flinched slightly when the Dane glanced at his bandaged torso and locked eyes with him. "I may be injured, but I assure you, no one will harm them." Althea tugged at Sihtric's belt softly and Sihtric relaxed for a moment.

"I will be fine, my love. Hvitserk is very eager to stab people if the occasion arises." She said playfully to lessen his worry, it seemed to work when the mentioned son lit up and nodded.

"I am! And I will protect—" Aldhelm cleared his throat and Hvitserk sighed. "We will protect her. You have my word, father." Hvitserk shot a glare at the Saxon lord and smiled up at his father. Sihtric kissed his head as he cradled his son's face with a look of contemplation.

"Alright, do not fail me." Sihtric replied and Hvitserk hugged the Amman tightly. Arthur glanced between the two and shrugged as he held one of his brothers and Althea cradled the other.

"I will help mother with the twins." Arthur says in return making Althea laugh. Soon enough everyone leaves, her sister goes back to Mercia and Uhtred is heard in the distance giving a motivational speech.

"Thank you." She spoke when Aldhelm turned to her.

"There is no need for that, lady. I have sworn myself to your sister and by default you and the children. I will always be here for you, lady Althea. I swear it." Althea nodded as she looked down at Grimnir with a soft look. She was glad her sister had someone looking out for her.

"Well, you still have my gratitude." Althea watched the man crack a smile as he turned back to the door, his hand on the hilt of his sword. Hvitserk stood next to him mirroring his stance as his eyes narrowed, he would be a fine warrior one day. That she knew would be true. Arthur cuddled into her side as the twins grabbed their hair with tiny fingers, she knew in her heart that this was her purpose. Her destiny, even. To love and be loved by Sihtric, to have a beautiful family of Saxon-Dane children.

And she wouldn't change it for the world.