xviii. the betrayal of a brother

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

"Lord Uhtred." Sigebriht says as he turns away from the window.

"Lord Sigebriht you stand with Aethelwold?" Uhtred questioned in disbelief. Althea felt Aethelwold looking at her but she refused to look at the coward, she used to think the world of her cousin and he betrayed her like it was nothing.

"I stand for a strong Wessex, where exactly do you stand lord? May I ask, is it with Edward?" Finan moved to sit down as Aethelwold poured Uhtred some ale. Althea and Finan shared a bored look that made her smile.

"You say it as though there are men against Edward?" Uhtred said accusingly.

"There are men who doubt him, yes. But if Uhtred were to stand alongside him—" He is cut off by Aethelwold who hands Uhtred the cup.

"I was at Ethandun, I stood beside you in a shield wall. He is barely a man." Aethelwold snapped in irritation.

"And Alfred could barely lift a sword above his head, yet he was a man to follow." Uhtred defended.

"I say again, Edward is not Alfred. He is not a man to follow. The Danes know this." Aethelwold says with a scoff.

"You're still with them, admit it." Finan spoke with boredom.

"I am for Wessex." She scoffed at that.

"That's hard to believe, cousin." Aethelwold flinched at her tone and looked away.

"Lord, you did not answer my question. Where does Uhtred stand?" Sigebriht questions and Uhtred sits the cup down. He looks at Finan as they leave and Finan gives them a mocking smile. As they were leaving Steapa stopped them, and the three tensed at the sight.

"Your father wishes to speak with you, Lady Althea." She hesitated for a moment and looked at Uhtred, he gave her a small nod and she sighed. Of course, Uhtred would always tell her to make amends. She followed Steapa as he led her to the dying king, the guard reached out to squeeze her arm lightly.

"I will be here if you need me." Steapa said softly as she walked into her father's chamber. Alfred weakly glanced her way and smiled, he looked like death warmed over. She sat on his bed as he reached out for her, she clasped his freezing hand in her own as they sat in silence.

"I am sorry, my sweet girl. I have been cruel to you, unnecessarily so." Alfred spoke with struggle and she glanced down at their hands.

"It took for you to be on your deathbed for you to apologize?" She hissed out and went to stand, Alfred gripped her hand as tight as possible as he begged her not to leave.

"Please, Althea. Do not leave me yet." Althea nodded and sat back down. "I have not been the father you deserved and for that I am sorry. I have done horrible things to you and your children, my own blood. I should have not forced you away." Althea blinked away her tears as she caressed his hand.