xv. betrayal and freedom

╚════════*

╚════════*.·:·.☽✧ ✦ ✧☾.·:·.*════════╝

They sit around the boat as Uhtred sleeps, Skade drinks from water from the river as Finan is huddled at the back of the boat and the others are in the front. Finan watched horrified at the sight of Uhtred kissing Skade. Sihtric was propped on the stairs as he watched his family sleep, a part of him was happy that she was sleeping again but the biggest part missed holding her.

He hesitated briefly as he laid his fur cloak over the three of them, his sons instinctually curled under the fur and into their mother. Osferth laid a hand on his shoulder to comfort the Dane.

"Give her some time, Sihtric." The Dane nodded as the monk led him back to his seat. Eventually, they arrive back in Coccham.

"Is the idea we walk into Coccham like we've never been away?" Finan asked from where he walked with Uhtred. Althea refused to speak to Uhtred and Sihtric as she followed behind Finan and Uhtred. Her sons hovered next to her in worry, she felt so betrayed. Her father figure and husband played her and neither felt it necessary to let her in on the plan.

"Yes."

"Directly to the hall?" Finan questioned in disbelief.

"Yes."

"And if another lord resides there?" Finan asked quietly.

"We ask him to leave, my friend." Uhtred spoke nonchalantly. Uhtred glanced at Althea and fought the urge to reach out, he knew it wouldn't be welcomed.

"I can do that. Are we to expect a wedding, lord?" Finan asked as he looked back at Skade. "We did not risk our lives for you to hump the bitch. Or do you plan to kill her with your cock?"

"I plan to see my children." Uhtred said dismissively and looked to a man who gained his attention.

"Lord, you will not remember me." A man claims as he bows to him.

"I remember you. You're Edwin. You're married to Mildwynn." Uhtred claimed happily as he patted the man's back.

"Lord, they have taken more than half our winter store. Animals and grains. They say it is to feed Alfred's army, but we will certainly starve." Edwin said in a panic.

"Who did this?"

"They're at the hall, lord. King Alfred would not have ordered this." Edwin said. Uhtred and his group walked to the gates of the hall and noticed guards were placed outside. Althea could feel Sihtric's gaze on her and she refused to glance his way.

"Stand aside, I want no bloodshed, no man killed." Uhtred said and sighed when they refused to move.

"He said stand aside. Now!" The guards look at one another before moving. "Thank you. I should not need to raise my voice." Sihtric says softly. Her husband glanced at her with sadness as his family walked past them. Sihtric moves to the table to eat and drink ale as the priest takes notice of them, his heart breaks a little as his youngest son hesitantly sits next to him.

Sihtric glanced at Althea and she gave him a nod, she would never deny him his right to see his children. Sihtric kissed his son's head and fought back tears when Arthur cuddled into his side.

"Uhtred. Uh, what is the meaning of this invasion?"

"This is my home." Uhtred stated and noticed the sharp glare Hvitserk was sending him.

"We are here by right, on the king's business." The priest said as he stood up.

"You are stealing food from the mouths of the poor." Uhtred said as he looked at the priest in disdain.

"An army needs to be fed."

"As do the priests, it seems." Uhtred says as he watches Skade stab a piece of meat on a priest's plate.

"You are lucky it is not your hand." Skade sneered at the man as she leaned in close. She moved next to Althea, she urged her son to go to Osferth for the time being.

"I can curse him." Skade speaks quietly and Althea wishes she was cruel like her.

"You know I cannot allow that." Skade huffed in displeasure.

"You are no fun, I do have an offer you cannot refuse. I will free you from my curse if you tell me one thing. If Uhtred plans to kill me, how will he do it?" Althea knew this was walking the line of betrayal but the bitterness in her heart won.

"Drowning." Skade clicked her tongue in annoyance but nodded.

"You are free, Althea. But just know this, whether or not he succeeds in my death, you will remain alone. Sihtric never loved you. Uhtred tolerated you for Gisela and now Aethelflaed, and his men do not care what happens to you. You are a burden." Althea glared at the seer as she walked away. Althea hated that she believed the blonde, while everyone was distracted she slipped out of the hall.

She didn't have many choices. She could stay and be a burden or leave. Her sons would hate her but at least they would be protected, they would have their father and uncles.

Maybe she's the problem.

"We want no disharmony here today." Uhtred turns and sees a cross hanging above the doorway.

"What is that?" Uhtred questioned.

"Well, you know what it is."

"Take it down. Take it down or I will make a gift of you to Skade." Uhtred threatened as Skade walked behind him in interest.

"I will not do as you ask. I cannot."

"Lord, see it as a piece of wood, nothing more." Finan stated moving close to them.

"It is a holy cross."

"Bishop Erkenwald, I suggest you shut your holy mouth." Finan interrupted sensing the growing tension.

"And take it down."

"Or I...I can just take it down, lord?" Osferth added softly pointing up at it.

"You will do nothing." Uhtred demanded making Osferth nod. The monk frowns when he sees his sister no longer with them, he turns to Sihtric who had also noticed but remains calm to avoid freaking out the children. They share a worried glance and Sihtric leaves to look for his wife.

"I realize you are looking to find a reason to kill me, and I would prefer to do as you ask. I am not a fool, but I cannot deny my faith. The king will hear of it, God would know of—" Uhtred cut in with anger.

"The king has told me many times that this is a pagan's hall. You will take it down."

"It is my cross, lord. My doing. I put it there and I would like it to remain there unless, of course, your plan is to once again be the Lord of Coccham. I meant no insult." Hild said from the entryway, Uhtred smiled softly just as Skade grunted and the cross fell. Osferth sits with his nephews to distract them but they all know how protective Hvitserk was of his mother. He would notice soon enough.

"Now, perhaps, we may eat." Skade says from above. Finan moves to dust off the cross as he picks it up.

"You may take it." Uhtred says as Hild and Skade stare one another down.

"When you leave, you will take only half of what you have gathered. I understand an army must be fed, but my village will not starve." Uhtred demands looking at the Bishop.

"The king will not approve."

"The king is a ghost! Nothing more than that." Uhtred shouts making the men whisper amongst themselves.

"Lord, may we speak further, privately?" Hild asked and the two leave the hall as Skade stood by the door watching.

Althea was in the process of leading her horse out of the stables when Sihtric found her. He felt tears fill his eyes, he didn't know how to fix their relationship. Not if it was to the point where her only solution was to leave.